Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]

Author Topic: [0.47.xx]v26 CLA Graphic Set  (Read 405335 times)

lingaic

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: [0.47.xx]v26 CLA Graphic Set
« Reply #285 on: April 20, 2024, 06:17:51 am »

Is there any chance this tileset will be updated for the steam release?

If not, would you be okay for people to do it themselves and post to the steam mods page?

Thanks for making the best tileset.

It's almost perfect in 50.12

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 14, 2024, 12:16:25 am »

I'll attempt to update the graphic set to work in the current version, but no guarantees. No interface, just the map screen. I'll update my progress here.

It looks like I may have to get creative with the colors because status representations in ascii (e.g. flashing tiles, background recolors) can't be replicated directly in graphics mode, and afaik ADD_COLOR no longer functions. I'll figure things out as I go.

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 14, 2024, 02:19:23 am »

Began by moving the tile page definitions to their own file. Next, creature graphics. Started with vermin first.

CLA Graphic Set has vermin sprites but they weren't displayable in-game. Prior to v50 you couldn't use creature graphics on vermin. Here's what tame toads and dragonflies look like in 0.47.05 with CLA's graphics (used DFHack to spawn them):

Now they can be displayed with the new v50 graphic tokens. CLA had premade vermin sprites so that they'll be "ready to go" when support is added as explained here. So I'll have them shown in the new version even if they weren't originally.

Conditions for vermin were even prepared by CLA, although they're based on the old creature graphic tags and need to be replaced w/ the new vermin conditions. This is the graphics definition for TOAD:
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:TOAD]
[DEFAULT:CRT_AMP:0:0:ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT]
[CHILD:CRT_AMP:0:1:ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT]
! ANIMATED:CRT_AMP:0:2:ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT]
! TRAINED_HUNTER:CRT_AMP:0:3:ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT]
! TRAINED_WAR:CRT_AMP:0:4:ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT]

This was changed to:
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:TOAD]
[VERMIN:CRT_AMP:0:0]
[REMAINS:CRT_AMP:0:1]

CLA made conditions for potential undead and hunting/war trained vermin, but they didn't create unique sprites for them ('!' indicates missing sprites). I could be proven wrong down the line but it's unlikely they'll ever be implemented which is why I removed those conditions. Here's what tame toads and dragonflies look like in 50.13 w/ the modified CLA creature graphics:

The sprites got scaled up because CLA tiles are 18x18, default is 32x32. I'll deal with this later along with the color issue. Blue guy is an aardvark, I still need to update normal creatures.

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 17, 2024, 01:07:30 pm »

Updated regular and giant creature graphics. Original raw vs. updated raw comparison, using GIANT_TOAD. Original:
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:GIANT_TOAD]
[DEFAULT:CRT_AMP:1:0:ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT]
[CHILD:CRT_AMP:1:1:ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT]
! ANIMATED:CRT_AMP:1:2:ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT]
! TRAINED_HUNTER:CRT_AMP:1:3:ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT]
! TRAINED_WAR:CRT_AMP:1:4:ADD_COLOR:DEFAULT]

Updated:
[CREATURE_GRAPHICS:GIANT_TOAD]
[DEFAULT:CRT_AMP:1:0:AS_IS]
[CHILD:CRT_AMP:1:1:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
! ANIMATED:CRT_AMP:1:2:AS_IS]
! CHILD:CRT_AMP:1:3:AS_IS:ANIMATED]
[CORPSE:CRT_AMP:1:4:AS_IS]
[CHILD:CRT_AMP:1:5:AS_IS:CORPSE]
[TRAINED_HUNTER:CRT_AMP:1:6:AS_IS:DEFAULT]
[TRAINED_WAR:CRT_AMP:1:7:AS_IS:DEFAULT]

This was how they looked on-screen after updating:

Because ADD_COLOR no longer works afaik, I added the colors to the graphic tiles themselves. Custom palette might be a possible alternative method, but I haven't attempted it. I searched for info on how to apply palettes to basic, single-layer creature graphics, but didn't find any.

Here's the original graphics_qs_st_crt_amphibians_18x18.png:

This was changed to:

With the colors added in (giant toads and giant toad corpses):

Currently working on civilized races and animal people graphics.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: June 09, 2024, 04:38:46 am »

Keep up the good work!
I played with this immensely charming tileset for years, and I'm excited to see it might make an appearance in 50.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20]