Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Climber question  (Read 2329 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Climber question
« on: October 27, 2014, 10:29:23 pm »

B

If an enemy can climb, can it climb from point A to point B?

= ground
▒ = wall
_ = floor
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
Re: Climber question
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 11:07:17 pm »

No. Overhangs prevent climbing.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 11:17:01 pm »

Oh, thank you.
I was thinking about building walls around the roof.

The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 12:17:44 am »

You can do overhangs or fortifications to make your walls unclimbable

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 06:49:31 am »

You can do overhangs or fortifications to make your walls unclimbable

?? I had a wooden wall and second level of the wall was fortifications... it didn't prevent goblins from climbing over and massacring my archers. And my archers did vice versa, climbed over the protective fortification and charged enemies in melee when they ran out of ammunition....

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 09:36:21 am »

According to Toady, overhanging *floors* weren't climbable at some point prior to v0.40.01 only because he hadn't yet implemented the necessary transition. Overhanging walls supposedly were climbable since the transition was implemented. I don't recall hearing any updates on the implementation, but you should probably assume that overhangs will at some point be completely climbable.

The "official" way to prevent climbing is to use smoothed natural stone, though stone blocks work nearly as well. In both cases avoid pillars (wall tiles that aren't connected to two other wall tiles) since they are easier to climb.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 11:10:41 am »

I assume everything can be climbed now after watching a cat walking along the wall constructed of stone blocks, starting on the level where my pastures are, and then continuing straight along the side as though there wasn't a 1-z drop there, and around a corner to the entrance, because turning around and going down (what would have been a much shorter pathway following) the staircase from the pasture would be far too banal apparently.

Later I had a really weird looking scuffle that I couldn't quite deciper with my broker and a miner and some blood but they kept appearing and disappearing, then I realized they were moving up and down the side of a sheer wall and punching a kea to death.

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 01:55:41 pm »

I assume everything can be climbed now after watching a cat walking along the wall constructed of stone blocks, starting on the level where my pastures are, and then continuing straight along the side as though there wasn't a 1-z drop there, and around a corner to the entrance, because turning around and going down (what would have been a much shorter pathway following) the staircase from the pasture would be far too banal apparently.

Yup.  Sounds like a cat, actually.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 03:03:49 pm »

Yup.  Sounds like a cat, actually.

...In fact, that is scarily accurate for cat behaviour. I have a resident burmese who does similar improbable climbing around our house, especially when I've been neglecting her because I'm playing on the computer for too long. I swear she must have suckers on her feet...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Fluffernutter

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Lawful Pragmatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 05:23:13 pm »

I've found that, in adventure mode, I can hang from ceilings made from the right material, like elven tree houses. The wiki says that walls made of blocks are hard to climb and smoothed natural stone is impossible to climb, so your best bet is to make a giant moat leading down through a layer of rock all around your fortifications. That, or just invest in a roof because rocs exist.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 10:34:28 pm »

Oh, I know they're ridiculously great climbers, but it's kinda like the cat did this:

Except without the adjacent wall to press against, because lolgravity when you're a legendary climber.

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 08:23:13 am »

*quickly builds another layer of wall made of rock blocks* Interesting that blocks are climbable. There goes my feel of safety.

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2014, 09:45:00 am »

*quickly builds another layer of wall made of rock blocks* Interesting that blocks are climbable. There goes my feel of safety.

Which was probably the whole point (-: ...also, it does encourage building more interesting and complex structures on the surface if you build anything on the surface at all (besides bunkers).

Kuikka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2014, 01:05:08 pm »

Which was probably the whole point (-: ...also, it does encourage building more interesting and complex structures on the surface if you build anything on the surface at all (besides bunkers).
I agree that it brings certain elements of excitement to this game. I play as humans and have built a town, surrounded by walls and watchtowers. I already built a moat to one side where river doesnt surround my town, but winter tends to make that a bit useless. But I made a second wall to protect inner town :D perfect. Next time I'll have to build gatehouses...