Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Steam games won't work after reinstalling windows  (Read 3117 times)

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
Steam games won't work after reinstalling windows
« on: October 25, 2014, 07:21:04 pm »

Unreal World, DF, and Cataclysm work fine but any game on steam stops responding except for fallout 1 and 2 which cause an error message that says "Error initializing video mode 1024x768".
On the plus side, they managed to kill off 20+ children

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam games won't work after reinstalling windows
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 07:37:47 pm »

Huh.

First of all, I found someone else with your problem on Fallout 1/2. So that might be unrelated, though I can't say for certain.

You could make certain DirectX is installed and updated - it's possible Steam didn't think to check after the reinstallation, and is trying to launch the games without required libraries.

Did you reinstall on the same computer, or were there some hardware upgrades? Upgrades would explain Fallout 1/2 suddenly failing, and might provide better insight into the problem.

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 07:46:23 pm »

Huh.

First of all, I found someone else with your problem on Fallout 1/2. So that might be unrelated, though I can't say for certain.

You could make certain DirectX is installed and updated - it's possible Steam didn't think to check after the reinstallation, and is trying to launch the games without required libraries.

Did you reinstall on the same computer, or were there some hardware upgrades? Upgrades would explain Fallout 1/2 suddenly failing, and might provide better insight into the problem.
It's the exact same setup as i had before.

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 07:52:11 pm »

First thing to check would be if you have all of your drivers, chipset, graphics, etc, installed correctly.

Did you follow the process for moving a steam installation? Google it if you don't know the procedure. Obviously, as you have reinstalled windows all of the registry keys will no longer exist, so each game should need to run it's first run procedure again.

If you have a small game on your account that wasn't previously installed, download it and see if that runs.
In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 08:37:09 pm »

The Nvidia October 22nd drivers caused BSOD and massive graphical errors in many of my games.

If you have an Nvidia card...it could likely be that.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 09:05:31 pm »

First thing to check would be if you have all of your drivers, chipset, graphics, etc, installed correctly.
I forgot how to do that.
Did you follow the process for moving a steam installation? Google it if you don't know the procedure. Obviously, as you have reinstalled windows all of the registry keys will no longer exist, so each game should need to run it's first run procedure again.
I just reinstalled steam.

tootboot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 10:57:23 pm »

A lot of games depend on redistributables that are bundled with the game that might be installed now, poke around in the individual directories and install all the stuff.  Your rogulikes work because they don't depend on DirectX or XNA or Visual C++ libraries.

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 11:53:50 pm »

A lot of games depend on redistributables that are bundled with the game that might be installed now, poke around in the individual directories and install all the stuff.  Your rogulikes work because they don't depend on DirectX or XNA or Visual C++ libraries.
They still don't work

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2014, 12:26:17 am »

I forgot how to do that.

If you reinstalled windows but haven't installed your graphics drivers, or anything else like that, I wouldn't be too surprised that most games aren't functioning, really. Unless you're on windows 8, in which case windows may (will likely?) have installed some version of them for you. (I know it does for NVidia, because the way it did it caused problems when I first installed it, but I only assume it gets drivers for ATI, intel, etc, graphics.)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2014, 01:18:12 pm »

When I traded in my WinXP system for Win7 x64 a few years ago, I had possibly similar issues.

Ultimately, it was fixed when I went and downloaded one of those massive codec packs that were a thing about ten years ago, and then manually toggled codecs through InstalledCodec by nirsoft.net until everything ran.  By default, Win7 lacks a lot of legacy 32bit and 16bit codecs that games used to take for granted and sometimes Win7 uses the wrong ones.

It was a really painful troubleshoot for me, but it worked.

ICBM pilot

• Bay Watcher
  • D'awwww
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2014, 09:39:09 pm »

When I traded in my WinXP system for Win7 x64 a few years ago, I had possibly similar issues.

Ultimately, it was fixed when I went and downloaded one of those massive codec packs that were a thing about ten years ago, and then manually toggled codecs through InstalledCodec by nirsoft.net until everything ran.  By default, Win7 lacks a lot of legacy 32bit and 16bit codecs that games used to take for granted and sometimes Win7 uses the wrong ones.

It was a really painful troubleshoot for me, but it worked.
If that was the problem wouldn't some newer games work?