Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Protectors on MODDB (standalone "expansion" to Warlords Battlecry 3/III)  (Read 2397 times)

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

http://www.moddb.com/games/the-protectors

Don't need Warlords Battlecry 3 to play it. You can just download straight from MODDB and play. Be sure to get the hot fix.

The Protectors is pretty much how I'd think Warlords Battlecry 4 would be like if it was made today. Except maybe not as advanced graphics.

For those who don't know what Warlords Battlecry games are like.

Think Warcraft 3, but you get a persistent hero (the only strategy game series to ever have one, still to this day there are none as far as I know) that levels up, gets spells, skills and what not. There are many races to choose from, Daemons, Undead, Barbarians, Fey, Dwarves...the basic fantasy stuff. There are also more unique ones like an insect based race, a dinosaur based one, and there is a weird one with floating eyes and stuff.

Warlords Battlecry 2 had a risk-style (very small) game map to conquer. Warlords Battlecry 3 is more a storyline to follow, which is how the 1st one was. WB3 has a nice sized map, and offers a lot to do.

The Protectors does a lot of stuff, and a lot of the features you can see on the page. But, it adds its own storyline, and allows players to create their own storyline for the standalone mod. It also improves AI, new items, new editor and a bunch of stuff. I don't want to write a huge novel here, but again, you can see on their page.

As an additional note, I'm not a team member to it. More a fan. And its not very well known, and Warlords Battlecry series itself is kinda an unknown game series that not that many people know of. I found it to be one of my favorite RTS and miss a lot of features in it that modern strategies don't have (like the persistent hero).

Also, as a note. Like Warlords Battlecry 3, The Protectors isn't very balanced. Warlord Battlecry series itself is incredibly unbalanced. They focused on fun and just to be entertained by it. I never do multiplayer though (which in games focused on multiplayer, balance of course is more important), but singleplayer is probably even to this day, still some of the most fun I have in an RTS game. Usually I'm more of a 4x guy, but WB3 is just pure fun. The Protectors adds and enhances a lot of that, and improves a lot of things.

And again, don't need to buy anything or pay anything. Just download, unzip and play
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 03:17:35 am by Kazagarth »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

*shakes fist* I tried. Wanted to pretty bad cause I rather enjoyed WB3. Protectors was crashy as all hell and had fairly unplayably bad performance half the time for reasons I couldn't seem to figure out, to boot. Maybe try again some day in the future, whenever I get around to getting a different computer.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I was on an older version. I upgraded when I made the thread. And yeah, its...a lot more crashy than it was before. Even with the hotfix. Not sure why. I'm not entirely sure its the mod itself.

I do faintly remember I had that problem on the version I was using. And I remember even vanilla Warlords Battlecry 3 crashed a lot on Windows 7/8/10. I forgot the fix for it. I got it working on Windows 10, but don't remember how. I'd have to look when I get a chance. It could just be something he did with the mod.

It is an older game I guess, and the mod is based on an old game. Have you tried the basic stuff like compatibility/admin mode?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile

Oh aye. I play older games pretty regularly, so the normal stuff gets tried when problems start popping up. Screwed around with the game's settings, too, which got it to run better, but still not good, still very unstable. Much worse than the vanilla version, heh. I'm actually still on vista, so the incompatibility stuff isn't quite as common with older stuff. Last time I had WB3 on this comp it ran pretty smoothly.

Definitely hoping another version comes out at some point, hopefully addressing some of the instability/performance issues. For all I had trouble finishing more than one or two maps (at most), what I did see looked pretty neat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is this a real standalone expansion? Or Non-sequel?

Kazagarth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is this a real standalone expansion? Or Non-sequel?

Its a team of modders who made a standalone mod from Warlords Battlecry 3. Its enough added to it, to be kinda like an unofficial expansion. There sadly won't ever be Warlords Battlecry games again that are by the official company. If there is, I'd be super surprised. I don't think they are even still around. I'd have to look, but the game is super old and there has never been anything new.

I do recall them actually making Warlords Battlecry 4 (the company, not the modders). But I think they closed down or something, or if not, they cancelled the project.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2016, 11:12:00 pm by Kazagarth »