Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Materia Magica: New and Improved Moongate  (Read 1297 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Materia Magica: New and Improved Moongate
« on: October 21, 2014, 10:24:29 pm »

http://www.materiamagica.com/

A pretty classic MUD that was pretty popular a few years back when it was known as 'Moongate'. (Changed due to copyright issues)

Definitely worth checking out. I'll post the description from the wiki here:

"The fantasy world of Materia Magica, Alyria, consists of four major continents, a massive underground area called the Great Alyrian Underground, and the Faerie Plane, an ethereal zone. The overall theme is medieval fantasy wherein different races live in strife and bloodlust is commonplace.

Materia Magica is a text-based game based on the principle of endless killing and leveling up. The game does provide roleplay and non-combat elements, such as a ship combat system and roleplaying enhancements, helping to expand the game's content beyond the typical hack and slash classification."

The description is somewhat lackluster, though the license was recently aquired by a new developer and they're looking to do a $100,000 rebuild on the client and website, bringing MM to HTML 5.

I know friends of mine that lost their entire high school and college years to this game.

marples

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Materia Magica: New and Improved Moongate
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2014, 09:41:39 am »

I played this quite a lot around eight years ago and drop in from time to time. I had fun, but the time limit they added to equipment and limited repairs killed it for me. Forum drama was common, knowledge of certain runs was closely guarded and only known to some due to insider knowledge. The grind between 180 and 240 is horrible and without lots of research it is possible to gimp a build that isn't immediately obvious.
The world is really interesting though and it is genuinely fun to explore it, just beware invisible death traps that eat all your equipment.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2014, 01:38:27 pm »

I've never played a MUD before! I think I'll give this one a shot.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 12:46:46 pm »

Materia Magica is a text-based game based on the principle of endless killing and leveling up.

Is it a roleplay-enforced MUD?  Is it Iron Realms?
Shoes...