Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Low FPS when looking at the surface level of a new fort?  (Read 360 times)

ArdentWorcestershire

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Low FPS when looking at the surface level of a new fort?
« on: October 20, 2014, 03:25:32 am »

Typically, in the first couple years of a fort, the FPS is usually running at the cap that I set (200), but when looking at the surface level it drops down significantly to around 40 FPS. Just by going down one layer, to the point where the majority of my view is hidden tiles, is enough to raise it back up to 200. Is there anything that I can do to improve framerate while looking at the surface?

It's relatively difficult to monitor dwarf activity when I can only look at my entrance for 20 seconds at a time for the sake of things actually happening, especially right after embarking.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Low FPS when looking at the surface level of a new fort?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2014, 08:52:40 pm »

you can try to run the "Clean all all" function in DF hack.  Though since its cheating, you may not want to.  It comes from too many items trying to render all at once, and it slows the machine down.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Low FPS when looking at the surface level of a new fort?
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2014, 01:01:47 am »

Embark in a biome without trees. The new tree code is apparently rather inefficient. Alternatively, chopping the trees down may provide some improvement.