Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making a magical secret  (Read 840 times)

UselessMcMiner

• Bay Watcher
  • praise jeebus
    • View Profile
Making a magical secret
« on: December 14, 2018, 11:35:06 am »

So what do I need to make a magical secret? I know you need undead minions to make a tower. What else do you need to make a secret function?
The scouts have been fighting a giant capuchin for the past month now. They still haven't killed it.

Obsidian 1053

The Sentries are still fighting the capuchin. For two monthes they have done nothing but punch this monkey.

Evillee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a magical secret
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 08:36:18 pm »

You don't really need much to make a secret, as long as you make it so it appears correctly, it can be anything, I recommend looking at the examples in the raws.
Was there sand? Was it coarse and rough and irritating and did it get everywhere?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Making a magical secret
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 01:35:45 pm »

1) It needs a deity source, which requires a valid deity sphere, a book file for names given to books that contain the secret, a histfig text which is what shows up in legends mode as "urist mcnecromancer learned the secrets of life and death" or whatever.

2) it needs the secret goal to be immortality or nobody will pursue it,

3) The target has to be valid, like targetting any mortal creature with blood and intelligence or a creature class like "general_poison" or "mammal"

4) the effect, linked to the target, should reference a syndrome which gives the properties you want the secret to offer.

It can accept multiple targets, like one that explicitly targets creature_class "male" and excludes "female" (the creatures have to have the [creature_class:male/female] added to the appropriate caste, then) and the other applies to both females and any that are not male (class wise, the game cant look for the actual male/female flag) or one which explicitly works for mammals (again a creature class) and one works for everything else. You can then apply unique syndromes to each class.

If they cant build a tower, and they live in either a human or dwarven site, then they should store the slab at the mead hall/castle, hillocks civic mound or fortresses temple/throne room. I have no idea where they store slabs in forest retreats or dark pits, or even caves; ive never found one stored in any of those sites. But dwarves can recover them from raids, sometimes.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 01:42:19 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.