Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ramp Trouble  (Read 709 times)

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ramp Trouble
« on: October 17, 2014, 12:49:39 pm »

Hey guys!

Another noob problem here ...

I am encountering a ramp problem:

I have the following arrangement:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

O: native ground
X: native wall
.: empty space
V: ramp down
^: ramp up
,: loam floor
+: constructed floor

Here my problems:
#1: My depot is beyond L20. It is not accessible. According to the legend, the three-tile shaft leading to it is not accessible beginning from line #01. Only the middle row is marked as accessible. Why? Shaft is three tiles wide, ramps are three tiles wide ... I don't get it.
{Edit: Before you read on: I found the trouble with the depot, it was a stupid one-tile-access to the actual room ... laughably!}
#2: My dwarves have stopped moving between "inside", i.e. beyond line #15, and "outside", meaning the true outside and the shaft until line #14. Why? The ramp should be navigable!
#3: Okay, the ramp in line #15 is not THAT navigable - the middle ramp reads as "unusable". Why is that? And: Even if it unusable, my dwarfes should be happy with the ramps close to the wall which do NOT read as unusable ... And the way for the wagons is obstructed even before that ... I don't get it ...
{Edit: Interestingly: Although the ramp is "unusable", the depot is still accessible ... Weird ...}
Thanks for your insights!

Cheers,
Cat
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 12:58:39 pm by CatKate »

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Ramp Trouble
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 01:13:29 pm »

Ramp needs to be adjusted to the wall to let creatures (and wagons) pass in this direction.

I saw people making exceptions, though, but this is how this usually is.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

Absentia

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 01:18:57 pm »

Up ramps need a wall behind them to function, and the wall needs to be in the direction the dwarf is moving. The middle one reads unusable because there's no wall next to it, and the outer ones are only "usable" for walking into the wall behind them.

You can either build a wall on line 14, layer -2, or replace the ramps on line 15 with up stairs and build down stairs above them on layer -1. (Stairs will block wagon access, of course)

Ionizer

• Bay Watcher
  • Carrier of Squirrel Flu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 01:23:38 pm »

1. When viewing "Depot Access," you only need a single tile being "Accessible."  A single accessible tile means all eight tiles around it are also accessible, because a wagon is a three by three object, but the game only looks for the center tile.  As long as you have a single tile-wide "Accessible" line (possibly right angle only?) from your depot to the map edge, wagons can get in.  If the middle row is accessible all the way to the surface, wagons can get through (assuming the surface isn't choked with trees or walls or anything).

2. Ramps need to have a wall "behind" them for dwarves to move up them.  If you want your dwarves to use the ramps on line 15, you need to build walls on line 14, layer -2.  Alternatively, you can deconstruct the floors on line 6, layer -1, since those are blocking the ramps on line 6, layer -2. 

3. The game says the "outer" ramps on line 15, layer -2 are usable because they have walls east/west of them, thus they are usable to move upwards to the east/west (except there are walls in those tiles, so they aren't, the game may think they are, though, even if they aren't).  The "inner" ramp on line 15 is completely unusable, because it isn't connected to any walls.  Wagons can (for some reason) move up and down ramps not connected to walls (thus why your Depot is accessible), but nothing else (that can't fly) can.

Everything can be fixed by building walls on Line 14, Layer -2.

EDIT: Ninja'd...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 01:25:37 pm by Ionizer »

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 09:40:17 am »

Okay guys, great answers, thank you very much!