Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bucket Wounded Water Thirst HELP!  (Read 500 times)

Mojo Risen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Bucket Wounded Water Thirst HELP!
« on: March 15, 2008, 08:09:00 am »

There, now I've set the title of this post to all the different combos I did a search for and failed to find the info I was needing lol.

Question: I have this injured dwarf who's laid up in my barracks and is apparently dying of thirst (blinks fast with red cross and subsequent pic of down blue arrow (thirst right?). I designated the one small pond as water source and also my well as a water source. Neither is very far from where my little injured buddy is (the well is like two short halways away and is NOT dry). Anyways, I have 3 or 4 buckets sitting in a furniture stockpile, even a few waterskins in a bin as well. Well, you'd think with all the idlers about, someone would bring him some frickin water right? Nope.

What am I doing wrong?? Help save an innocent dwarf pullleaze.

PS building that well was one of the most enjoyably rewarding things so far in my DF experience. playing for 15 hours straight yesterday left me feeling guilty though   :eek:

slMagnvox

• Bay Watcher
  • Attend Party
    • View Profile
Re: Bucket Wounded Water Thirst HELP!
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 08:30:00 am »

Press 'j' to bring up the jobs screen.  Browse around for a Give Water job.  If the Give Water job is in there, but inactive, it could be your idlers don't have Health Care enabled (unlikely, all dwarves have it enable automatically) or that there could be other tasks queue for your buckets?  Try deleting the furniture stockpile(s) as a last ditch effort.

If Give Water isn't in the jobs list, take another look at your injured dwarf (or keep looking through the jobs screen), his/her job should be listed as Rest.  If a dwarf isn't officially Resting, no one will bother Health Caring them.  An old trick to get a dwarf back into Rest mode was to remove the bed they were laying on.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 09:41:00 am »

also, an easy way to see all of the dwarfs ailments is to v over them, then hit w, which brings up a list of wounds, which include thirst hunger dehydration starvation miserable and naseaus.
-Toast-_

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 10:20:00 am »

Giving water is currently a bit buggy. Try making another bucket, sometimes that works.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 10:44:00 am »

If he's military, undrafting helps sometimes.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Mojo Risen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 11:51:00 am »

Yeah, that's what I found odd was that it appeared his Left Foot was thirsty. The I scrolled down and see his spine is yellow. Anyways, since he was healing and thirsty, the image was flashing from him to thirsty to healing and I guess I took this as needs attention NOW but it was just trying to convey all three images in too quick a loop i guess and got me all worried.

Anyways, all his status said was thirsty so maybe he was just in some que and not in dire need of a drink.

Thanks for the info all.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 12:11:00 pm »

If his foot is thirsty, you have first to drop his boot (make sure to drop the right one) before he can drink.
Not really, as status indicators are not linked to body parts...
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

GRead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 12:48:00 pm »

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure spinal injuries never heal. If it was just light grey or brown he could still go about his activities, but with a yellow spine injury I'm afraid that dwarf is paralyzed for life

Mojo Risen

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 05:45:00 pm »

I'll leave him in bed then for as long as he likes. Shame it's in a barracks. Also shame he was a hunter with some decent fighting skills.   :(

Troas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 06:05:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mojo Risen:
<STRONG>I'll leave him in bed then for as long as he likes. Shame it's in a barracks. Also shame he was a hunter with some decent fighting skills.    :(</STRONG>

Don't think of it that way, think of him as now being properly qualified to be your new sheriff/captain of the guard.

You'd think handing out the crossbows to brain damaged dwarfs would be a bad idea but it isn't

Save the catgirls!

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 07:38:00 pm »

Indeed.  One common message in my fort is "sheriff interrupts drink: unconcious."  He got an eye poked out early in training and suffers from phantom pain.