Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Flooding plots, doors and rocks  (Read 312 times)

ducker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Flooding plots, doors and rocks
« on: September 21, 2006, 10:58:00 am »

I have a farming plot that I used last year, I just hit spring and I want to flood it.  But I noticed that the dwarves moved rocks on to the door when building the farm plots last season.

I'm guessing this door won't hold back water anymore, and I need to move the pile of rocks off of the door.

How exactly is the best way of doing this.  My fortress is rather large, and I already have rather large areas devoted to stone piles.  Perhaps I just need to make even larger piles of stone?

RPB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://rapidshare.com/files/70864746/scardagger_winter_1059.zip.html
Re: Flooding plots, doors and rocks
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 11:31:00 am »

You don't really need to stockpile stone ever. Deleting your stone stockpiles will usually make your dwarves use stone a lot more intelligently.

A quick fix for the door problem: remove the door, then place a new door. The dwarf installing the new door will move out whatever's blocking it.

For a more permanent solution, build a craft shop right outside the door and have them make rock/stone crafts until you've used everything up. If there's ore in your farm you may have to use a smelter too.

You can get around this with a bit of planning: don't build your farm plots all the way up to the door, or install 2 doors (good idea to begin with), or build your farm so that they only way in is through the same floodgate you use to flood (just shut off the water at its source to clear the farm and let your dwarves in).

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 12:00:00 pm »

Should dwarves really be allowed to drop things in doorways, though? The whole "pick up stuff that's in the way and throw it somewhere else" can cause a lot of problems, in some cases the dwarves just move the problem a few tiles.

ducker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 01:28:00 pm »

great idea with the replacing a door.

but I agree... I would think the logic of a dwarf wouldn't be... I'm going to drop this rock in a doorway... but perhaps in the next room over.  To drop it in a doorway seems excessive... perhaps if there was a flood or an aggressive creature was after them.

Thanks for the tips!

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 01:34:00 pm »

forget custom build rooms for farms. build a big room that can hold at least 2x2 (of 10x10) farms with an edge instead!

can even use the unused parts for an indoor forest

---
what happens if that the dwarves will dump the rocks from 1 farm plot to the next.. again and again..

[ September 22, 2006: Message edited by: bbb ]