Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: First military squad ever: marksdwarves or melee dwarves?  (Read 2059 times)

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First military squad ever: marksdwarves or melee dwarves?
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2014, 12:45:52 am »

wow... first military action.  A were-iguana showed up, and quite frankly I wasn't prepared properly.  However, it was a learning experience - I was able to form a civilian alert, my melee squad and even lead the attack vs the creature once it had turned back to human form!  (punk got away).   However, I also lost 3 dwarves *and* one other just got a fey mood....

I think this was fun.  DF fun :)
hamster cheese supplies are low

Sirbug

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2014, 01:18:20 am »

Fey mood is not related. He just wants to create an artifact.
Cool, but wouldn't this likely lead to tongues having a '[SPEACH]' tag, and thus via necromancy we would have nearly unkillable reanimated tongues following necromancers spamming 'it is sad but not unexpected'?

IleWieszOOsmiornicach

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Hammer Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2014, 04:17:36 am »

I'd say that the best way to handle this is to grab a few your least talented, most useless dwarfs (bonus points if they're very young, I like creating a child army), give them some weapons and armor and throw them into a danger room for a month.
Pretty soon you'll have a legendary infatigable murdersquad.

That is, of course, if you don't mind using danger rooms. Some pansies people consider it wrong.

Fey mood is not related. He just wants to create an artifact.

Are we completely certain of that? There does seem to be a surprising amount of strange moods after big fortress events. They often depict said events, too. I'm not sure if it's completely coincidental.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 04:21:06 am by IleWieszOOsmiornicach »

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2014, 07:23:22 am »

Training weapons:  But if they use real weapons all the time, won't t hey grievously hurt each other in training drills?

(mental note: work on armor. at the moment they have iron helms and mail shirt and shields, but no complete suits).

I definitely want to create a danger room, but first I want a hospital to take care of injured dwarves, and for *that* I need a source of water, and for that I need to build an aqueduct/well (there is a river at the edge of the map, it will be my second "major" construction project after the archery tower).  I'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed by the large migrant wave, still working on making beds etc, and now I have to deal with 3 burials as well...

Once this is over, I'll have almost 15 dwarves in the military with reasonable equipment, so I think I'll be ok
hamster cheese supplies are low

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2014, 07:42:40 am »

Training weapons:  But if they use real weapons all the time, won't t hey grievously hurt each other in training drills?

Nope, normal weapons are as harmless as training weapons for sparring.

The thing that will kill dwarves is wrestling training and the idiots who charge during sparring.

Pyro627

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2014, 04:57:06 pm »

I tend to favor marksdwarves for the simple reason that they're far easier to equip. You can make bolts, xbows, quivers, and even leather armor easily. Melee dwarves, on the other hand, need to properly equipped to be viable and very well-equipped to be survivable. I may fall back to melee dwarves if I have access to obsidian, as it gives me easily producible masterwork short swords.
Here's a tip, though... Use Russian characters in your WPA5 passphrase. If your spontaneous AI is anything like my spontaneous AI (not as aggressive as yours, good conversation, but actually worse than me at chess*), it can't handle any character outside of the CODEPAGE 437 list.

*I hope. It could just be lulling me into a false sense of security.

BoogieMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2014, 08:31:27 pm »

I often end up having 2-3 full melee squads and 3-4 ranged squads. Takes awhile to get them all equipped and trained but they whoop ass once they are. I usually assign Dwarves without useful skills into the ranged squad if they have poor physical attributes, and if they are average or above I put them into melee squads.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ BoogieMan, Forumscrub cancels tantrum: Seeking Dr. Pepper
Pages: 1 [2]