Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: RateMyFort.com (and 56K's worst nightmare)  (Read 759 times)

weasel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RateMyFort.com (and 56K's worst nightmare)
« on: September 20, 2006, 04:03:00 pm »

Forty Fort (5 megs of shame)

After about 15 false starts (starting on incredibly high skill levels; flooding the whole map; starving everyone; trading everything by weight instead of value) I finally settled on a strategy.

I opened with 1 Proficient Miner (one pick) and one woodcutter (one axe), a bunch of barrels of booze (for the free barrels!) and a loadout set with one thing in mind:

Burrow my way to cross the river, setup a small farm, and churn out as many rock crafts as I could while building my way to the magma.

I made my dig 3 squares wide to house a temporary Mason's (who worked on blocks for bridges/trade depot), Crafts, Carpentry, and Mechanics shops (for the floodgate farming I'd be doing). I kept everything very minimal - beds in the hallways all the way up to winter.

After I got the initial farm setup, I focused entirely on magma. I had my wood furnaces going and I was smelting coal bars in preperation. Then I hit a snag.

I couldn't find iron ore.

As you can see in the map, I sent out mining expeditions to all corners of the map, and of COURSE the last place I look (very far bottom right) is a HUGE gold seam which distracted me (I had to dig it all up - it was sparkly), followed by a medium sized platinum seam. then a few screens below that, the iron belt.

I have a huge net worth now, 10 barrels of exquisite crafts and several Legendary dwarves.  All my furniture is amazing. All my carvings are brilliant. My original lone miner - who is superhuman in strength and speed - chews through ore faster than my new peasants can walk!

I love how people post pics of their fort and others comment on it/give suggestions. I'd love to get the treatment  :)

Zanfib

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: RateMyFort.com (and 56K's worst nightmare)
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 07:30:00 pm »

Very cool. Best fortress I've seen yet.

One question, What are the rooms just next to the gate for? They seem to be quarters for your nobles, but why did you put them so far away from the rest of your fort?

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 07:33:00 pm »

Remember to trap up that other lower place where you hit the lava river. Things can sneak in from down there.

weasel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 07:49:00 pm »

The rooms right next to the entrance are indeed my noble quarters - they used to be (smaller) storage areas for things like lumber and goods.  Since nobles don't really do anything anyway, other than wander around and eat my food, I figured I could put them wherever I want.

Visiting traders also meet with the broker, so I like keeping at least him near the doors so I don't have 5 trading folk wandering through my maze of a cavern.  :)

I have a variety of traps and doors deployed all over the place now but I'm regretting it - I'm not seeing enough combat action and I'm getting bored  :)

Chris Kessel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 12:38:00 pm »

What's the point of those long single shafts to no where, or to parts of the river/chasm/magma that don't have bridge crossing over to the other side where there's a shaft that meets it?

ricree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 11:56:00 pm »

As long as we're sharing fortresses, here's my best one so far.

Tanetur "TickedBoulder"

Ephphatha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 12:17:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Kessel:
<STRONG>What's the point of those long single shafts to no where, or to parts of the river/chasm/magma that don't have bridge crossing over to the other side where there's a shaft that meets it?</STRONG>

Possibly exploratory shafts to find ore.

This was my latest active fort, I've started another though (I can't help it...) and may not ever go back to it.

Oh, I forgot what I was going to say about it. I dig a shaft one tile wide to the river, and have my second miner dig 3xwhatever rooms to house supplies, workshops, and beds. Once I hit the river I make a small bridge offset from my corridor with the sole purpose of giving my engineer a way to cross the river. I then build a 5 tile wide bridge (apparently 5x10 is the largest size I can make a stone bridge) and set it to raise away from the entrance. Once that is built I destroy the piddly bridge and rig up the main bridge to a lever while my miners dig out a farm and widen the first corridor to 5xwhatever.

[ September 22, 2006: Message edited by: Ephphatha ]

Wahnsinniger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 12:37:00 am »

This is my second fort (got tired of the first)

I figured I'd go for the Moria-esque style big rooms. They work pretty well, in that they are multi-purpose and I can relocate my fortress deeper as I dig further in. But since its so spread out, workers are incredibly inefficient at doing anything, and hauling stone all the way out it is horrendous. There needs to be Mine Carts that would allow dwarfs to haul more/carry faster, and/or water flumes, were you dump the stuff into like a chute thing and it carries it to some destination. They used to do this alot for lumber, not sure about stone.(though I saw it in a Batman: Animated Series episode, so it MUST be true...)

Also need stockpiles that can be specialized, so that I can have small food stockpiles spread accross the fortress that don't fill up with inedible tallow barrels and seeds.

Note: the wagons decided they were too good for the road and opted for crossing the stone stockpile instead.

syllogism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 02:07:00 am »

updated: http://content.imagesocket.com/images/local_map_8_1080_5052a7b.PNG

or using different font http://content.imagesocket.com/images/local_map_8_1080_5052b8f7.PNG

[ September 26, 2006: Message edited by: syllogism ]

[ September 26, 2006: Message edited by: syllogism ]

Robotbutler

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 05:45:00 am »

syllogism... wow... how many hours did that take?  looks like you're running out of room  :p

Telok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 06:49:00 pm »

Here's one of my last ones. I did kill all the demons. But they broke a floodgate somewhere. I'll have to try and find it on adventurer.

Speaking of adventurer mode, I have a penal colony going on one of my worlds. I used to world map to find adjacent adventurer and fortress locations. So now I have 4 dwarves (there have been some casualties) living outdoors all the time (penal colony = no picks) and making lots and lots of bone/wood bolts. I'm in the second year and wondering when the elephants, gorillas, and mandrills will kill these guys off. Most of the time there isn't a problem with the wildlife (at least since the two trappers died) except when the caravans come. The guards panic the elephants, which promptly ramgage through the colony.

It's fun.

axus

• Bay Watcher
  • Axe Murderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2006, 08:13:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by syllogism:
<STRONG>http://content.imagesocket.com/images/local_map_8_1078_6861308.PNG</STRONG>

Dang, syllogism wins