Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reserve barrels for brewing?  (Read 2623 times)

Thrall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reserve barrels for brewing?
« on: March 15, 2008, 04:11:00 am »

Hi,

my dwarfes storing plants in barrels, how can I force to use bins for plants and barrels only for brewing?

Thx

Wawotsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reserve barrels for brewing?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 04:34:00 am »

They always keep plants (or bags with milled plants) in barrels. But you can restrict the number of barrels in a food stockpile in the stockpile settings (q-s) to zero. They will simply place plants and bags on the floor, just not as dense as with barrels.
abbling Fortress Coordinator

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 04:36:00 am »

place two food stockpiles next to each other (filling you previous food stockpile space) and assign one for NO drinks and the other for ONLY drinks, allow no barrels in the one with NO drinks and leave the one with ONLY drinks with full allowed amount of barrels. you can adjust the number of bins allowed in the other food stockpile afterwards. to get this fully up and running you need to eat your way through your current food in the barrels, they will then be transported to a furniture warehouse and used for brewing.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 05:04:00 am »

You can store plants in bins?  And I thought that "Reserved Barrel" Option in stockpiles allowed you to set barrels to be used with only Workshops (Such as Stills, though maybe also Process Plant (Barrel))

greenest banana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kaelem Gaen:
<STRONG>You can store plants in bins?  And I thought that "Reserved Barrel" Option in stockpiles allowed you to set barrels to be used with only Workshops (Such as Stills, though maybe also Process Plant (Barrel))</STRONG>

As far as I know, it's impossible to store food in bins. You have to store them in the open air or in barrels.

My understanding is that food stored in barrels lasts longer (And takes up less space). Plants in the open air rot faster and will also lose quality any time a dwarf walks over them. Is that still true?

If that's the case, you'll probably want to have ample walking room in your food stockpiles to keep the food from getting kitten leather shoe prints on it. If you eat it fast enough it shouldn't be a problem anyway, though. I guess it all depends on how scarce wood is around your fort. If you've got plenty of wood it might not be worth having food scattered everywhere just to save a few barrels.

gerkinzola

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 06:43:00 pm »

if you have two ledgendary growers on fertilised land you want the food to waste quickly lol ive had two on my last fort where i was using the last suggestion, i had a large stockpile of cooked plump helmets that i was throwing at nobles, and i ended up having to trade, throw into my chasem ect.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2008, 01:22:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Kaelem Gaen:
<STRONG>And I thought that "Reserved Barrel" Option in stockpiles allowed you to set barrels to be used with only Workshops (Such as Stills, though maybe also Process Plant (Barrel))</STRONG>

that is correct. the global restriction settings make barrels and bins only useable by workshops.

its rather useless to restrict bins though, seeing as how no workshops use them

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 07:49:00 am »

It can be useful, if you know that you'll need some empty bins in the future, and don't want them to be stuffed with narrow  clothing meanwhile.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

brainfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 02:45:00 pm »

I keep seeing this thread next to the vomit thread and misreading it as "Reserve barrels for vomiting?"

[ March 16, 2008: Message edited by: brainfire ]

You can allow or stop your dwarves from eating these mushrooms, but it's entirely optional and doesn't turn Dwarf Fortress into Dwarf hookah-smoking pad.

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »

Can someone show me EXACTLY how you use this magical "reserved barrels" setting?

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2008, 05:20:00 pm »

Hit p and read the whole menu. The amount of barrels/bins you set there will NOT be used for regular storage. It's handy to keep 5 barrels or so free for booze production. It will, however, not free up already occupied barrels.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 06:02:00 pm »

I see, thanks

greggbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 04:05:00 pm »

You should brew every brewable plant you have.  If you have more than 10 barrels of unbrewed plants stop your farms and get brewing seriously!  If you have too many barrels full of drinks(plant) (more than 5 per dwarf) then stop all food growing and cook some of your booze.  

If you manage things correctly, your farming/brewing/cooking should be balanced to fit the desired amount of barrels, not vice versa.  Remember overfarming is the largest waster of wood that there is.  Keep a rotation of about 100 barrels and work within that limit by creative use of he KITCHEN menu.

[ March 18, 2008: Message edited by: greggbert ]

ou have struck Mica!  Now Niki''s gonna kill you!

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 11:22:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by greenest banana:
<STRONG>
My understanding is that food stored in barrels lasts longer (And takes up less space). Plants in the open air rot faster and will also lose quality any time a dwarf walks over them. Is that still true?
</STRONG>

Food not in barrels can be eaten by vermin. Any food in stockpiles will not rot (but I am not sure about unprepared fish). The trampling of fodd may still be an  issue, but I've never had a problem with it

Also note: stockpiles do not protect against temperature : a frozen start like on a glacier can rot all your food in a week.