Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Effect of shield quality?  (Read 418 times)

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Effect of shield quality?
« on: March 15, 2008, 12:19:00 am »

What exactly does the quality of the shield do? As I understand it, shields give you a chance to block the blow, and maybe counterstrike. So is a steel shield 33% more likely to block a blow when compared to an iron one?

Secondly, what are the differences between a buckler and a shield?

Thanks.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Effect of shield quality?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 12:29:00 am »

Bucklers weigh less, cost less, use less raw materials, and have half the blocking power of a full-sized shield.    Yes, a steel shield has a 33% higher chance of blocking a blow than an iron one of similar quality.

A shield has a base blocking chance of 20.  So, a no-quality iron shield used by a no-skill defender against a no-skill attacker would have roughly (I'm not sure of all the conditions) a 20% chance of blocking the blow.  So, about one in five shots would be tossed away.  A buckler in a similar scenario would have a 10% chance of blocking, so one in ten shots would be deflected.

This gets really, really interesting with HIDDEN FUN STUFF, because of the 500% modifier.  That means a 20% blockchance shield would be boosted to 100% blocking chance, and that's with someone who doesn't even know how to hold the damn thing.  Combine that with someone who really knows their shield work, and you've got yourself an impregnable fortress on two feet.

Now, it bears thinking that the better a creature gets at a particular weapon, the better chance they have to evade a block.  But still, legendary swordsman vs. legendary shield user?  Shield user wins.

All this info is assumed from looking at the raws.  I haven't tested it, but that's the way it seems to be described by the program.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 01:11:00 am »

From my experience with dwarf adventurers with very high levels of shield skill (say, 3x legendary with a steel shield), the chance of an enemy breaking through your shield defenses is very dependent on the enemy skill level. Small fry had next to if not literally no chance of getting through, while an elite macegoblin could still potentially land blows and injuries.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 01:31:00 am »

Sweet, so if I'm calculating this right the artifact adamantine buckler that my possesed armorer just popped out has a base block chance of roughly:

10% * 500% * 300%= 150%

so maybe that this is useful after all...

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 02:46:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by BishopX:
<STRONG>10% * 500% * 300%= 150%</STRONG>

Given Toady's background, I have difficulty believing that you can get a probability greater than 1 of blocking anything.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 02:51:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>

Given Toady's background, I have difficulty believing that you can get a probability greater than 1 of blocking anything.</STRONG>

I'm guessing the enemy's weapon skill factors into it somehow, so that 150% would be reduced to potentially less then 100% by a skilled swordsman. Thus being able to get over 100% is very valid.

But that's just a guess. I have no idea how it all works.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 02:53:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by benoit.hudson:
<STRONG>

Given Toady's background, I have difficulty believing that you can get a probability greater than 1 of blocking anything.</STRONG>

As this is a base chance to block, which is then modified by the opposing skills, it could very well be greater than 1.