Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing items from a dead dwarf?  (Read 1252 times)

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
Removing items from a dead dwarf?
« on: July 18, 2007, 10:14:00 pm »

One of my dwarves has drowned, but his corpse was not washed away.  He was a miner and I want to get his pickaxe, which is still in his inventory.  How do I go about getting it?

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
Re: Removing items from a dead dwarf?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 10:50:00 pm »

If he died in a perminately filled channel, you're screwed until another miner comes along, unfortunetly. Otherwise, close the floodgate to unflood the channel, and then one of your dwarves will run in an get the pickaxe if:
- There's a weapon stockpile; the pickaxe gets put there.
- They have the mining job activated, in which case they keep the pickaxe.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

ktrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 10:53:00 pm »

If the corpse is accessible, then enabling Mining in another dwarf should cause that dwarf to go over and pick it up, or you could create a Weapon Stockpile  (P-W) and a dwarf will retrieve it and put it in the pile when the task comes up.

If the corpse is in a channel or something, it may not actually be accessible. To make sure, wait until traders show up, and look for the pick in the "Bring Items to Depot" menu, if it's red and marked as inaccessible, then it won't be retrieved.

Remember, you can always forge another out of bronze/copper. I've heard that they're not quite as strong though.

trey cancels Play Dwarf Fortress: Interrupted by Message Board.

Sappho

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA Aira; Legendary Female Gamer
    • View Profile
    • Aira Plays Games
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 10:58:00 pm »

Thanks.  The river flash flooded and drowned the miner, but he's in the middle of the hallway now, perfectly accessible.

MJ working

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 10:28:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by ktrey:
<STRONG>If the corpse is accessible, then enabling Mining in another dwarf should cause that dwarf to go over and pick it up, or you could create a Weapon Stockpile  (P-W) and a dwarf will retrieve it and put it in the pile when the task comes up.

If the corpse is in a channel or something, it may not actually be accessible. To make sure, wait until traders show up, and look for the pick in the "Bring Items to Depot" menu, if it's red and marked as inaccessible, then it won't be retrieved.

Remember, you can always forge another out of bronze/copper. I've heard that they're not quite as strong though.</STRONG>

He meant to type (P-P) for weapon stockpile. (P-W) is a wood stockpile that will not help you recover a pick. Otherwise he is correct.