Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Distinguishing friendlies from enemies when using a tileset?  (Read 1199 times)

Erde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Distinguishing friendlies from enemies when using a tileset?
« on: October 04, 2014, 09:34:33 am »

This is probably a stupid question, but how do I do this?

In one case I started a new adv in a town and the infobox in the start suggested stopping goblin group that had been sent to the town. Well, I wander the streets and kill the first goblin I see. Puzzlingly it was a Goblin weaver. Thinking nothing of it, I slay the beast... only to be called a murderer. The town was taken over by my race, but had goblin inhabitants. However I did find the actual group which promptly came to kill me when I went near enough.

However, I would like to know who is an enemy before they initiate combat. Sometimes you can't tell by the movement. Once I had a goblin group come to me and tell me to yield. I killed one of them and was called a murderer by the humans nearby, What?

If you are not using a tileset, I think you can distinguish hostile creatures by their color? I seem to remember seeing such tokens in the raws.

So is there a way to know or do I just have to settle for what I got?

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
Re: Distinguishing friendlies from enemies when using a tileset?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 08:50:56 pm »

If you look at them it says at what stage of combat you're at, including ally.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 12:45:06 am »

just for the record, no you can't distuingish people's allegainces by their colour with default ascii, all that colour indicates (for sentients anyway) is their profession/highest skill.  just try and attack when they're adjacent and see if it asks for confirmation is the most reliable method.  of course maybe you should be starting it sometimes with the way conflict can be buggy in 40.x
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 12:14:56 pm »

I don't know if it's gotten better in 40.13, but often in the earlier 40.XX versions the invaders wouldn't be immediately hostile to you.  You can usually guess if you talk to them and ask their profession and they say they're on a mission or something like that.

To be sure, I think there is a way to ask them what group they belong to, but I can't remember how off the top of my head.  If it isn't the group that owns the town then they are definitely invaders.  I think you can get the group that owns the town by asking about the local leader.

Just looking at them using the cursor and seeing if they are hostile is definitely much easier, but I don't think them being friendly guarantees they are not invaders.

I wish there was a way for you to accuse someone of being an invader, similar to night creatures, and have them either tell you you're nuts if they are not or go hostile if they are.  In addition to this obviously making it easier to find invaders, it would also open up the possibility of things like threatening them and making them run away without actually fighting if you are intimidating enough.  Right now you can beat the invaders unconscious repeatedly and they still keep hanging around.

Finally, even if they legitimately are invaders, I don't think that guarantees that the townspeople won't get mad about you killing them.  Emotional responses are totally broken right now, but the Great Toad is currently fixing them (or at least changing them ;) ).

Erde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 11:59:03 am »

If you look at them it says at what stage of combat you're at, including ally.
Thanks! However, this is what I've been using thus far.

just for the record, no you can't distuingish people's allegainces by their colour with default ascii
Hmm, at least humans have [FRIENDLY_COLOR:] set in entity_default.txt so are you absolutely sure?

just try and attack when they're adjacent and see if it asks for confirmation is the most reliable method.  of course maybe you should be starting it sometimes with the way conflict can be buggy in 40.x
I constantly find goblins and night creatures that ask permission to attack them. Even when I am strangling someone they politely introduce themselves sometimes. Heh.

To be sure, I think there is a way to ask them what group they belong to, but I can't remember how off the top of my head.
Huh, don't remember seeing anything of the such. I need to go deeper.

Finally, even if they legitimately are invaders, I don't think that guarantees that the townspeople won't get mad about you killing them.
It was inevitable.