Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Well, there went my first game.  (Read 2996 times)

Chief10

• Bay Watcher
  • since 31
    • View Profile
Re: Well, there went my first game.
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2014, 02:58:43 am »

The best way I've figured out to avoid tantrum spirals is not using meeting areas. Don't let your dwarves congregate there, because they waste time and build close relationships with EVERYONE in the fort, so as soon as one person dies everyone goes nuts.

I also like to eventually make separate barracks for each squad.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 08:57:56 am »

Easy ways to avoid tantrum spirals:
- Masterwork prepared roasts
- Legendary dining room (11x11 smoothed room with tables/chairs is usually enough)
- Soap bars and a well

Individual bedrooms by the end of year 2-3 is important.  An 11x11 area can easily be chopped up into 16 bedrooms, with doors in the corners between each bedroom.  If you are short on doors, you can do it with only six doors for the sixteen bedrooms, but the more doors you have in corners, the more path-friendly the area is.

Layout for 48 bedrooms in my latest fort.  I did this across (4) levels for an eventual total of 192 bedrooms for the peons.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Once the rooms are dug out, smoothing them will turn them into very nice bedrooms.  Place a single bed and cabinet/coffer in each, assign them to dwarves, and you'll get lots of good thoughts.  They'll be happy for sleeping in their own nicely appointed bedroom, they will admire their bed, and admire their coffer/cabinet.

If they have pet cats or non-grazers, assigning those pets to their bedroom can help out a lot as well.  They will get a good thought from being comforted by their pet (I think close proximity helps).

Depending on time constraints and how many you can spare for engraving duty, engraved bedrooms are even better and more likely to result in happy dwarves.  Ecstatic dwarves are rather difficult to tantrum-spiral.

My current fort has gone from 21-25 population down to 4-6 survivors two years in a row now due to werepanda attacks.  The survivors bucked up, cleaned up, isolated (walled in) the suspected infected, buried the dead, and no tantrums were had.

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 04:13:48 pm »

Keep in mind that the next update seems to be geared to changing tantrum spirals into something more gradual and easily spotted/prevented.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2014, 09:09:21 pm »

That's definitely something I need to do more research on.  Right now, the trade interface confuses the heck outta me.
It's not too bad once you find out that q is search, and s is seize.

please for the love of armok remember that s is for seize, not search!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 10:22:56 am by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.
Pages: 1 [2]