Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dwarven Laziness  (Read 2903 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Laziness
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2014, 04:13:20 pm »

I thought it meant

I Dont Like Employment
Intrinsically dislikes lugging equipment
Irritating Dwarf Lounging Eternally
Immolating dwarves (with) Liquid Earth

and a plethora of others...

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2014, 04:37:31 pm »

I thought it meant

I Dont Like Employment
Intrinsically dislikes lugging equipment
Irritating Dwarf Lounging Eternally
Immolating dwarves (with) Liquid Earth

and a plethora of others...

Instant death looks entertaining
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2014, 04:59:50 pm »

Intensive Dwarf Labor Evasion.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 07:45:20 pm »

I Don't Like Elves?

Actually, I don't really mind elves, what with the leopards and tigers oh my....
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2014, 02:38:39 am »

Is there any science to be done to find out what it would take to get this dwarf to do something - statues of his favorite thing in his room - a pet - a career change - private dining table and booze stockpile in his room - an injury and a spell in hospital - dump a corps that he finds disgusting in his room - is he missing his socks? - get ready for his strange mood it might be a good one...

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2014, 03:15:06 am »

Is there any science to be done to find out what it would take to get this dwarf to do something - statues of his favorite thing in his room - a pet - a career change - private dining table and booze stockpile in his room - an injury and a spell in hospital - dump a corps that he finds disgusting in his room - is he missing his socks? - get ready for his strange mood it might be a good one...

There seems to have been a slight productivity boost after I broke his leg and gave his lower spine compound fracture.

My hypothesis is that the amount of time idling would be related to job priority, and skill in that area. He's always quicker to brew (expert), than to tan (dabbling)
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2014, 06:59:37 pm »

There certainly seems to be mechanism where dwarfs sometimes want to do a particular thing.  In my experience skill level makes a contribution to this calculation but does not determine it.  Remember also that dwarfs are more inclined to take tasks that involve things that they have preferences for. 

Other things which sometimes work to trigger lazy dwarfs into action:

- toggle the dwarfs labours off and then back on again.  I use Dwarf Therapist for this, but should be doable without.  Advancing the game a step in between might help here.

- if it is a workshop task then cancel the task and reissue it.  This seems to bump the job up in priority (moves to top of task list?).

- make some designations, or cancel them.  Perhaps not as good but sometimes does the trick

- get another dwarf to take a new task.  Once again not as good but sometimes works.

On rare occasions none of these will work.  Just to check, your dwarf wasn't 'on break' to start with were they?  Anyway, some dwarfs are just naturally more lazy than others, one or more of the personality traits determines this.
Pages: 1 [2]