Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Clouds cant spread through Z-levels?  (Read 686 times)

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clouds cant spread through Z-levels?
« on: October 08, 2014, 10:02:54 am »

So I got this coast embark where "clouds of haunting mist" keeps happening at the shore, but it will never be blowed uphill to my entrance (my entrance is 1 z-level higher than the shore). I remember clouds being many Z-levels wide at 0.34.
Even when they are being blowed towards the hill, when it hits the hill it just disappears! That's no FUN at all!
Is it supposed to be this way? Im using vanilla 0.40.13 with no mods.

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clouds cant spread through Z-levels?
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014, 10:25:23 am »

Those clouds usually only appear within the appropriate biome. If you embarked on a border region they may be being stopped by that. You could check this by building a wall inside the range of the cloud (or digging a trough I guess).

The only other thing I can think of is waves. Waves don't change z-levels and can even flow through barriers in weird ways on the same z-level. I haven't heard of waves being changed recently so if it were related there would be all kinds of dwarf science that could be done.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Clouds cant spread through Z-levels?
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014, 12:12:49 pm »

I've seen multiple z-level clouds and clouds that billow downwards in 40.x, but I don't know if they'll billow upwards.

If you keep playing you may eventually get a cloud that's big enough to span multiple z-levels so it can overflow towards your entrance. What seems to happen to me is that clouds will 'fall' down if they find themselves over open space, but they won't climb up. If the cloud is big enough to span two z-levels the part that's one z-level up will travel over the cliff/obstacle then if there's open space below it some of the cloud may fall/spread downwards.

Effectively you're seeing this:

Your fog isn't light enough to rise up, nor is it tall enough to roll over the cliff on its own. Multiple biomes could also be at play since you're along the ocean.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 12:18:41 pm by Slogo »