Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help with old 2d version  (Read 774 times)

Goblin Dragoon 085

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help with old 2d version
« on: May 12, 2008, 01:14:00 pm »

Ok, so I downloaded the latest 2d version of DF:
df_23_130_23a cause I wanted to see the fps hit the game took from getting additional z levels
and I got some questions:
How do aqueducts ,bridges and channels work in the 2d version?
How do I dig into and cross the cave river, without my mining tunnels flooding?

Is there anything else I should be aware of?

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help with old 2d version
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 02:23:00 pm »

I'm not very good at explaining things, but you could check out the old version of the wiki:  http://archive.dwarffortresswiki.net/ .

I do know that the cave river isn't much of a problem. When you first hit it, you might get some temporary flooding, but it backs down after a few minutes, and then you can just build a bridge across it.

Fluids and floodgates would be good starting points for understanding how they differ from the current method.

One word of advice: always use channels to block off any exits from a room that you intend to flood. IIRC, dwarves can walk over empty ones just fine without a bridge, and they are guaranteed to stop the flow, preventing a  fortress wide flood. An example:

code:
~~~~~~~█████████████
╔══════╗.............
║++++++║..MAIN HALL...
╚══════╝.............
~~~~~~~████████┼█┼██
~~~~~~~███....._█ò█  <- Lever to operate
~CAVE~~███......███     the floodgates.
~~~~~~~███......█
~RIVER~███......█
~~~~~~~X_X......█
~~~~~~~██████████

That channel by the door should stop any water from getting out of that room should something go wrong. I don't recall if opening the door with a full channel next to it causes problems, however... I never bothered putting doors on my farm rooms, I just used channels in their place. (Note that there is no diagonal movement, so the water won't leak out through the diagonal.)

000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Metalax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 03:56:00 pm »

Opening a door next to a full channel didn't have any effect on the water. The only way for fluids to leave a channel was via floodgate but it would leave in all directions from the floodgate(no diagonals).

Bridges worked much like those in the current version. Aqueducts were built in a similar way to bridges with you needing to select which sides were open. They were also somewhat buggy.

Digging into the cave river without flooding was either by the first breach being on one of the shore tiles along the river or by a high level miner who had a much lower chance of triggering flooding.

In the beginning was the word, and the word was "Oops!"

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 06:07:00 pm »

channels dont stop seasonal floods, just artificial ones.

seasonal floods go through fortifications, so thats often an easier method of irrigation than using floodgate systems.

you dont need double floodgates, just a channel before your single floodgate.

magma is prone to initial flooding the same way that the cave river is, so be careful with it.

you cant trade for rock and metal.  thus, limestone and hematite are precious resources not to be squandered.

theres a difference between "light" and "dark" stone when working at a mason, which you may not be used to if you started on the 3D version.