Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [0.40.13 r4] Game crashes :(  (Read 680 times)

iPhoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[0.40.13 r4] Game crashes :(
« on: October 07, 2014, 02:40:07 pm »

I have played fortress for awhile now and it was running fine on my computer.
But now I have downloaded the latest starter pack [0.40.13 r4] and now it keeps crashing at different times ingame.
Do you guys experience the same? :(

shlorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [0.40.13 r4] Game crashes :(
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 03:02:53 pm »

Yeah but only on OSX, not on windows. Changing printmode from twbt to 2d fixed it, tho. If you're running 64 bit windows you'll have to turn off save compression, that's all i can think of for now.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 03:49:42 pm »

If you're running 64 bit windows you'll have to turn off save compression
Why would you have to do that? I'm running 64-bit windows and save compression works just fine for me...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 05:29:58 pm »

If you're running 64 bit windows you'll have to turn off save compression
Why would you have to do that? I'm running 64-bit windows and save compression works just fine for me...

Same.  I'm running Win 7 X64 professional with compressed saves and only get the rare crash during world generation.

Something to try:  Copy your save over to a vanilla folder of DF and see if it still crashes.  If it does, it's probably either savegame corruption or your raws are borked.  If not, then it's probably something in the starter pack.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 05:34:18 pm »

I run on Windows-7 64-bit, and like Tacomagic, the only crashes i get are the occasional one during worldgen. I also run on 64-bit linux, and have the same occasional worldgen crashes, so I expect that's built into the code.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 08:42:07 pm »

I freeze if I try to change world gen parameters and generate immediately. If I just back out to the title screen first it works fine though.

Sometimes if I zoom the text in/out and then the graphics in/out in a short period of time it freezes, but I learned that just because you can do it, it's more fun to just get it looking nice and enjoy the twbt goodness.

The game folder actually was pulled from the lazy newb pack, as it was the only time I got twbt working consistently. I tracked down the problem to one of the graphic set init files and just took the stuff that I use and moved it over to .dwarffortress and it works great now.

Once in a while I get a coredump error with a weird persistent coredump process I have to kill manually (think it was rcu_coredump or something like that, never seen it anywhere else and it hangs at 99% CPU usage until killed) but it is generally from doing the same excessive in/out zooming so I suspect it's the same problem and I'll just avoid doing that rather than break everything else trying to hunt it down.

Arch Linux 64 bit, though I think I'm still on 40.13.1 atm.