Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Friends With the Goblins?  (Read 1416 times)

Jaxxie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Friends With the Goblins?
« on: October 10, 2014, 07:14:54 pm »

I don't know if this is normal, whether or not dwarves and goblins are at war or not, but my adventurer spawned in the middle of a group of goblins. (All in a pit, for some reason.) Nobody attacked, and I just chatted with them and found out about a beast to go kill. I just met up with a farmer and miner and could talk to them no problem. Also, apparently some of the pit goblins have known me all my life? And a human is expedition leader of a dwarven civ.

What's going on here?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Friends With the Goblins?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 07:22:17 pm »

Did you start as a human outsider? you can start in a goblin pit that way.

Jaxxie

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 07:27:17 pm »

No, I'm a dwarf.

LastGreen

• Bay Watcher
  • [TRANCES] [SPHERE:STORMS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 07:28:51 pm »

Wellllllll idk, im kinda new too the game myself but iv actually had a goblin companion with my adventurer today. but I didn't find like a friendly camp or nothing. I actually slaughtered a hostile goblin camp and claimed it as my own. Then retired, when I unretired I found my self surrounded by friendly goblin wrestlers which apparently were all loyal to me. So I gave one a sword and made em my companion. I cant seem to find armor for em though but he's actually been kicking a lot of butt regardless.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 07:31:59 pm »

Wellllllll idk, im kinda new too the game myself but iv actually had a goblin companion with my adventurer today. but I didn't find like a friendly camp or nothing. I actually slaughtered a hostile goblin camp and claimed it as my own. Then retired, when I unretired I found my self surrounded by friendly goblin wrestlers which apparently were all loyal to me. So I gave one a sword and made em my companion. I cant seem to find armor for em though but he's actually been kicking a lot of butt regardless.
DF is having major mental overhauls.  Personalities, hostility flags, sieges, patrol routes, ai, armies, all of those fun bits are being tweaked right now.  So its a little off.

If you want goblins to be xenophobic you have to edit that into their ethics in entity.txt.  Under 'kill ___', switching neutral and enemy to REQUIRED will make them attack all of that category.  Chances are though, if you spawned in a goblin pit and arent an outsider, you are part of the goblin group/civ.

Yea, for what it is worth, DF is having a hard time flagging you characters as an enemy of any particular group.  you have to murder somebody, then spread the rumors, then brag about it in front of people, etc.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 07:48:15 pm »

Even then, the rumors don't seem to spread very well, while other rumors seem to spread instantaneously.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 04:02:43 am »

They might not be friends, but they might not be upset enough at you to actually attack. Maybe similar to some vampires.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 07:01:25 am »

Maybe try this in the raws , creature_standard.txt
Find [CREATURE:GOBLIN]

And under it add
[CRAZED]
[NOFEAR]

the 1st token should make them "specist"
Creature is 'berserk' and will attack all other creatures, except members of its own species that ALSO have the CRAZED tag.
Meaning goblins will hate and want to attack every non-goblins (as all goblins will have the CRAZED token) whatever the civ
the nofear should be helpful to get rid of various morale broken problems leading to overpassive enemies with current DF

Now by default, goblins populations don't mind going to live in a dwarf civilization or a human civilization, and with the current lack of way to know who is belonging to which civ, this is a huge problem, as you can't know who is an overpassive enemy and who is an overpassive friend.
And with the [CRAZED] tag it would be rather bloody to visit human or dwarf location, as goblins should attack non-goblins in those , even if they're on same civ

To get rid of that problem (if you see this as a problem, as in the opposite it could make things more .. lively or deadly), a simple method is to prevent goblin populations to go live in dwarf or human civs.
To do so, still in the raws, open entity_default.txt and find
[ENTITY:EVIL]
   [CREATURE:GOBLIN]
scroll down until you see
   [DEFAULT_SITE_TYPE:DARK_FORTRESS]
   [LIKES_SITE:DARK_FORTRESS]
   [TOLERATES_SITE:CITY]
   [TOLERATES_SITE:CAVE_DETAILED]
   [TOLERATES_SITE:DARK_FORTRESS]

delete those 2 lines :
   [TOLERATES_SITE:CITY]
   [TOLERATES_SITE:CAVE_DETAILED]
And goblins will no more go to live in dwarven or human civlizations

Now coming from this, a part of the fun will be bandits group, that sometime mix goblins and other species. With goblins being [CRAZED] it means internal fight will happen with non goblin bandits
And it should help too with goblin sites overpopulation, as there are tons of trolls in there, and with gobs being [CRAZED] it should help reduce those silly overpopulated locations :)

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 07:07:43 am »

DF is having major mental overhauls.  Personalities, hostility flags, sieges, patrol routes, ai, armies, all of those fun bits are being tweaked right now.  So its a little off.

If you want goblins to be xenophobic you have to edit that into their ethics in entity.txt.  Under 'kill ___', switching neutral and enemy to REQUIRED will make them attack all of that category.  Chances are though, if you spawned in a goblin pit and arent an outsider, you are part of the goblin group/civ.

Yea, for what it is worth, DF is having a hard time flagging you characters as an enemy of any particular group.  you have to murder somebody, then spread the rumors, then brag about it in front of people, etc.

You retired and became the leader of the camp. Nothing wrong with it. Bandits respect strength. Try beating a group of them in a fistfight, and they'll immediately become friendly.
The OP's "problem" is caused by dwarves occupying a goblin site. Any goblin civilians then became part of the dwarf civ. It's not a bug at all.
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 11:08:31 am »

Hey, nobody said it was :P  I only said DF was a little out of sync, and that the adventurer was part of whatever group/civ the goblins were.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!