Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arrow question.  (Read 314 times)

Mulch Diggums

• Bay Watcher
  • "Hey urist! I think that cat is having a seizure!"
    • View Profile
Arrow question.
« on: May 12, 2008, 02:22:00 am »

If a dwarf gets shot in the heart can the arrow get stuck there? is that possible? If so will they not bleed to death? How about the lungs, if an arrows stuck in one of them will the dwarf bleed to death?
ooooo! Swamp wiskey! Yeah!!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: Arrow question.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 02:34:00 am »

Arrows (and other projectiles) cannot stick in small objects, so they will instead stick in the "parent" object.  In the cases listed, that would be the upper body.

Whether or not the creature would bleed to death or suffocate is not affected by the arrow getting stuck in the wound.

Morlark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Morlark's Blog
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 01:11:00 pm »

Mmm, internal injuries like that quite often do lead to death, but not always. One of the carpenters in my current fort got ambushed by a goblin snatcher. (She was carrying her baby while out building an outdoor construction.) She managed to scare off the snatcher, but got stabbed through the lung for her efforts (red wound). But she doesn't seem to want to rest the injury, and is out finishing off that building. Of course she's constantly getting winded, but is otherwise ok.

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 02:29:00 pm »

I doubt that dwarf will survive long though. Internal bleading has a tendency to draw out the dying process, but they as good as always die.

I had a Craftsdwarf that had to be emergency drafted because of a Giant Olm. He got one arm and one leg ripped off, and survived for about half a year before he bled to death.

Schmoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 04:21:00 pm »

Each of my last two forts has had a marksman who received a red lung wound.  In each case, the marksman continued his patrols merrily, with nothing but the occasional bout of unconsciousness to bring him down.  In fact, they seem to be the longest lived of all of my military, probably because they're frequently late in arriving to battle.

"Wheezer" cancels job Drink.  Unconscious.

[ May 12, 2008: Message edited by: Schmoe ]