Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ambush on new fortress, very far underground  (Read 529 times)

Machariel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ambush on new fortress, very far underground
« on: October 06, 2014, 05:51:30 pm »

I just started a new map less than 20 minutes ago.  I got an announcement that an ambush had occurred and the screen moved to a location at z-level negative 1 (while the ground is at z-level 103). 

Since the invaders are 100 levels below my fortress, I paid it no mind (I haven't dug nearly that far yet), but now I've gotten a few cave-in notifications that zoom to between z-level 1 and negative 5.  Are there tunneling invaders now, or something like that?  Even still, that would be odd, because the lowest z-level of my map is -29, which means they'd be tunneling in right over the magma sea. 

Anyone have any ideas what's going on?

dwarf_reform

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_BUTCHERABLE]
    • View Profile
Re: Ambush on new fortress, very far underground
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 06:47:12 pm »

Ah, if there were burrowing invaders.. it would be.. terrifying..

Not knowing if it was a band of sinister humans or a snarling razor-mouthed burrowing titan-worm made of silver slowly shredding around down there.. Cave-ins are strange, and actual geologic collapses can happen on fresh arrival at a fort, but they usually happen (or used to happen, anyway, haven't seen any in a good while..) in the first couple frames/turns.. Maybe its subterranean tree branches collapsing? I know it informs me any time one falls on the surface, at least, but haven't seen any.. unseen ones :)

I have no real clue, but I wish it was an angry stone-chewing Forgotten Beastworm collapsing caverns and splintering trees (especially since its not my fort, bahahaha!)

Spectre Incarnate

• Bay Watcher
  • Possibly inside a dragon's toothy maw.
    • View Profile
Re: Ambush on new fortress, very far underground
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 08:27:22 pm »

Cave-ins still happen on arrival, but it is usually a sign that something is messed up. Often when you overwrite DF with another DF or have duplicated RAWs.

The in-game text has punctuation!  Who knew?
Mister Adams,
How many licks does it take to get to the [candy] center of a Dwarf Fortress?