Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Why is there indoor/outdoor and aboveground/underground?  (Read 988 times)

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Architect, Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
Why is there indoor/outdoor and aboveground/underground?
« on: October 06, 2014, 06:33:07 pm »

It would seem to me that indoor/outdoor is all that's required. If it's indoor, you can only grow underground crops; if it's outdoor, you can only grow aboveground crops. (Simulates presence/absence of direct sunlight.)

If you wanted to make a "the soil has been fouled by sunlight" kind of effect (which is how I've always imagined it working), then you could force underground plants to only grow underground (which would automatically be inside), as they already do.

But why do aboveground plants grow inside? It's such an obvious exploit; it allows for vertical farming without light sources, and sealed-in vertical farms at that. Aboveground crops should be challenging, right? Having to defend your fields and all that?

Anyway, that's my two cents. I've only played fortress mode in 0.34.11; has this behavior changed in 0.40.xx?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: Why is there indoor/outdoor and aboveground/underground?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 06:40:31 pm »

Take away the roof. Is it still in doors? Not really. Put a roof, door, and walls on a spot. It's now inside. Why wouldn't you want that system?
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 06:44:35 pm »

No, no, no, that is the system that makes sense. What doesn't make sense, to me, is that you can have multiple levels on top of each other, with no access to daylight, on which you can grow aboveground crops that (presumably) require daylight to grow. A.k.a, the indoor/outdoor system is great, but crops don't use it; they seem to use aboveground/underground. As of 0.34.11 (again, I haven't tried 0.40.xx.)

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 07:12:45 pm »

No, no, no, that is the system that makes sense. What doesn't make sense, to me, is that you can have multiple levels on top of each other, with no access to daylight, on which you can grow aboveground crops that (presumably) require daylight to grow. A.k.a, the indoor/outdoor system is great, but crops don't use it; they seem to use aboveground/underground. As of 0.34.11 (again, I haven't tried 0.40.xx.)

Pretty sure Toady stated that the current determination for the room tags is a placeholder that's "good enough" until he gets back around to revamping it to track changes better.  Currently aboveground/underground and Dark/Light work on a set/clear always flag because the game just isn't (yet) designed to make intelligent decisions on the actual situation of the room.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2014, 08:44:19 pm »

It wouldn't be too tough to make something that's a lot better. Whenever you build/create a floor (including a wall that has a floor as part of it), you just go down every tile directly below it and mark it as inside (or underground, I'm really not clear on the difference). Compared to the time spent pathfinding, this would be a trivial amount of compute effort. Pretty easy to code, too.

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 08:57:56 pm »

It wouldn't be too tough to make something that's a lot better. Whenever you build/create a floor (including a wall that has a floor as part of it), you just go down every tile directly below it and mark it as inside (or underground, I'm really not clear on the difference). Compared to the time spent pathfinding, this would be a trivial amount of compute effort. Pretty easy to code, too.

Keith

That's how indoor/outdoor does work. Plants work based off above ground/below ground though.

In the current system you could probably improve things if plants had to be in one of the 'corners'. I.e. Outdoors & Above Ground or Indoors & Below Ground.

Light/Dark is what would ideally determine what plants could grow I suppose. This is also the tile designation that's the most incomplete. Ideally you'd allow for above ground crops to be grown anywhere it was light and then allow some materials to pass through light (glass notably) and maybe even have some sort of light piercing where some constructed materials don't fully block light (under ground crops should require complete darkness). Then you'd just use Light & Dark designations for crops.

omega_dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 09:33:21 pm »

Hm...I can't seem to find the tag that controls where plants are allowed to be grown. I was hoping I could just change it to inside/outside, but it appears not. Is it tied in with the biome? Or am I just missing it?