Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: vomit and moss everywhere  (Read 1755 times)

Ancalagon_TB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
vomit and moss everywhere
« on: October 26, 2014, 02:43:55 pm »

Hello

to stop cave adaptation, I built a spiffy statue outside in an area protected by walls and made it a statue garden.  It proved a popular party location, but soon enough, my entrance courtyard was covered with blue vomit. 

Now that I've pierced the cavern, I have moss growing everywhere in my soil layers of my fort. 

So

1:  the vomit has been going on for about 2 years now.   Shouldn't the dwarves have shaken off the cave adaptation by now?

2:  The moss and stuff:   is this a problem?  Alternatively, Could I vacate the soil later and turn this into a giant underground pasture so my animals keept having encounters with outside monsters?  Is this moss enough to sustain pasturing animals in other words?

thanks!

hamster cheese supplies are low

Bogus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: vomit and moss everywhere
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 03:09:08 pm »

dont know about the vomit, but yes moss is enough for animals if you let it grow dense enough before putting animals to graze there. as long as you dont plan on elephants and the likes you can probably go with "sparse" on most tiles.

otherwise plant growth shouldnt be a problem unless you have soil rooms over multiple z-levels without floor in between, which would allow trees to grow.

Eidako

• Bay Watcher
  • Snow White cancels Sleep: Attending Party
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 03:23:29 pm »

1: This is typical. Cave adaptation increases by 1 every tick in the dark and decreases by 10 every tick in the light, so they have to spend at least 1/11 of their time outside just to stay at the level of adaptation they're already at.

2: Moss can be annoying when you're gathering sand for glass (it causes a slew of cancellation errors when moss suddenly pops up on the tile), but it's generally harmless. It acts just like grass for grazing creatures and wild crops will occasionally sprout. The only really bad thing is that it allows fire to spread should !!fun!! make its way into your fort.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:29:39 pm by Eidako »

rethnor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 04:57:26 pm »

2: Moss can be annoying when you're gathering sand for glass (it causes a slew of cancellation errors when moss suddenly pops up on the tile), but it's generally harmless. It acts just like grass for grazing creatures and wild crops will occasionally sprout. The only really bad thing is that it allows fire to spread should !!fun!! make its way into your fort.
This can be addressed by including sand walls in the gathering area.