Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: They won't eat!  (Read 611 times)

LordoEverything

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
They won't eat!
« on: July 16, 2007, 01:52:00 pm »

Now that I finally have the hang of this game, I figure "Lets build a freezing fortress!" I started off well, got all my wood from my wagons in, got a farm room up and going, all my food inside, all my animals inside, all my dwarves inside.  But now they won't eat or drink.  I've got 50 drinks, 37 meats and 3 plants.  Every dwarf has the brown "Needs alcahol arrow".  Right now they are all "hunting for vermin for food" in my food storage area.  I'm not a beginer at this game, and I have never had anything like this happen in any of my other forts.

Any ideas?

Lokum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: They won't eat!
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 01:55:00 pm »

Do they have complete access to your food storage area? Sometimes it might just be a locked door

LordoEverything

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 01:57:00 pm »

Nope they are in the food storage room right now, hunting for vermin that isn't there, with ample food and alchaol supplies.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 02:01:00 pm »

I had the same problem twice recently.
The first time, I locked 6 outside to die, but the one I ket wouldnt eat.
The second time, they were all inside but told to stay inside. I think they are getting pathing problems because they want to take the longest route that passes through every exterior tile exactly 10 times. Or it was a bug.
Eh?
Eh!

Arkan15

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 02:54:00 pm »

If you have no food at a given point and a dwarf is hungry, they start hunting for vermin.

Problem is if food becomes available they won't stop until they catch something.

IP AND TEAR YOUR GUTS!
YOU ARE HUGE! THAT MEANS YOU HAVE HUGE GUTS!

MorganLoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 08:11:00 pm »

My dwarfs are doing exactly the same thing. Tons of food, mostly meat but some plants as well. They are all hanging out in the food storage room, starving to death one by one. I have lost two forts exactly the same way. They starve, tantrum and die; each time the economy has started before this happens. In my current fortress the economy was going fine, until I had a goblin siege, and now starvation. I really don't want to keep getting stuck at this point. How do people get past this? (I have the latest version)

Dryn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2007, 01:02:00 am »

I belive there is a bug that occurs, when you force your dwarves inside, that sounds a lot like this.
You come back from the mansions of sleep with your pockets full of silverware.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2007, 05:49:00 am »

That never happened to me.
Maybe that map is bad? Or you'd try to create a new map.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Wang Commander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2007, 08:44:00 am »

Did the meat get the little xMeatx markers?  The cold damages it without rotting it usually before you can get it inside on Freezing, but it should work fine if you cook it into meals.

LordoEverything

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2007, 09:28:00 am »

I'm gonna have to say that its the forced inside bug.

Thanks for the input, guess I'll have to restart...

herrbdog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2007, 02:39:00 pm »

There was a bug with the previous version, which (I believe) Toady only patched to fix this one bug. If the economy has started, dwarves will not eat food in barrels. Check your version, make sure you have the latest. Otherwise, dunno.

LordoEverything

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 08:29:00 am »

Hmmm...

I do have the latest version...

Interesting.

I'm going to see if I can duplicate it.

Twilight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2007, 09:39:00 am »

Hello,
  this is not likely to be the cause, but, just in case: is the uneaten food in question pegged for food hauling and no one is hauling the food?  Apparently, foodstuffs designated with "to be hauled" jobs cannot be eaten or otherwise until the job is completed or transfered.  No one enabled with the food hauling task?  Food or destination point inaccessible?  Is this just a really bad bug or corrupted file (and, if so, what, exactly!!)?
quot;Your world was destroyed by the price of plant cheese."

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2007, 09:56:00 am »

It happened both times I had a regular stockpile in the interior of a trundra map and prevented them going outside. also, my one surviving dwarf ate onve I told them that they can go outside.
Eh?
Eh!