Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-OpenGL?  (Read 515 times)

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Non-OpenGL?
« on: July 16, 2007, 06:24:00 am »

Is there a non- OpenGL interface for the game?

My Nvidia 6600 GT evidently can't handle Dwarf Fortress o.O  

I REALLY don't want to troubleshoot openGL problems, I think my pcie slots and vcard are toast.

~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
Re: Non-OpenGL?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 07:30:00 am »

A 6600GT should handle OpenGL well. In fact from what I've heard (as well as personal experience) Nvidia cards tend to run OpenGL much better than ATI cards.
Unless you're running with the native windows drivers, the GPU shouldn't affect the game at all (unless you mess around with some of the driver settings which can cause the game to look worse, though still run well)
If the game runs slowly, that's because of your weak CPU, not your GPU. DF is a real CPU hog.
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Core Xii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 07:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Koja:
<STRONG>My Nvidia 6600 GT evidently can't handle Dwarf Fortress o.O</STRONG>

I have the exact same card and I'm running just fine. Update your drivers.

Reality is for people who lack imagination

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 09:10:00 am »

No... I can't run ANY openGL app(Or direct3d for that matter). Running video off GDI.

It's a hardware problem, I think. Got the card when it first came out, very old monitor(Maybe 10 years or so) .  I just want to find a workaround to play  :)

~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor

Arcanum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 09:40:00 am »

Have you installed the latest (or any) drivers from the Nvidia website?

Cosmonot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 11:17:00 am »

1. Go to Nvidia's Drivers Page
2. Where it says "Start here," select "Graphics Driver."
3. In the box to the right, select "GeForce 6 series."
4. In the last box, select you current Operating system.
5. Click "Go!"
6. If you live in the US/Canada, follow the link to the primary download site. Otherwise, select a European/Asian download site from the box to the right.
7. Click "Accept." Don't bother to read the license agreement.
8. On the next page, wait for the download link to appear. If it doesn't, click the link at the top, and it should start.

This next section assumes you are running Windows. If not, someone else can help you.

9. Once the download is complete, open "My Computer." Type in "Control Panel" at the top.
10. Select "Add or remove programs."
11. Select the item called "Nvidia Drivers" or similar.
12. Click "Change/Remove" and go through the wizard. If you are given the option to remove more than display drivers, do not do so. Only remove the display drivers.
13. Run the program you downloaded and go through the wizard. You should now have the most recent drivers for your GPU.

Kobolds carry copper crossbows.

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2007, 10:45:00 am »

*sigh* Thought I found pins missing, but I was wrong. Did find that I was sleep-deprived enough to compromise my vision though.

Reinstalled the most recent graphics drivers, reinstalled direct3d, cleaned graphics drivers with a cleaner, flashed and reinstalled the firmware on the card, rechecked all my connections on the mobo... can't seem to find a reason for this now black screen on DF.

The music sounds fine, and my computer can handle a lot more than this. 3500+ processor is hardly something that should be bogged down by DF. Can't even feel it working hard.

Markavian

• Bay Watcher
  • DF Map Archive Admin
    • View Profile
    • DF Map Archive
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2007, 11:42:00 am »

Depends how many dwarves you have... 200 dwarves plus goblins plus pets and aniamsl can easily bring the frame rate down to 2FPS on a 3GHz processor.

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 01:54:00 pm »

I don't have ANY dwarves. The game starts with a black screen. I have tried resolution settings in the init file at various(less taxing) settings.

Sucks, since this seems to be my ultimate roguelike... I've got a fever, and dwarf fortress is the only prescription.

All I can get is the nice intro riff. And exit out by pressing down-enter.

Tharg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 03:13:00 pm »

It's a long shot, but did you mess with the resolution etc. in the file before ever trying to start it up?  I think if you get them wrong then it can screw up and give you a black screen.

Haedrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2007, 03:42:00 pm »

I had gotten a black screen when I was trying to use a non-existant (or a non bitmap) tileset...

Could that be your problem?

When life gives you kittens, make biscuits

Likes llamas for their long necks