Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Grudges, feuds, and more advanced grumpiness  (Read 1237 times)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Grudges, feuds, and more advanced grumpiness
« on: July 19, 2014, 10:19:12 pm »

Okay. So right now we have grudges, which as far as I know, never have any more effect than giving a bad thought for talking to someone begrudged.
Let's spice that up, shall we?

What I have in mind is a system that allows for mere grudges to develop into feuds, blood feuds, and even full blown clan wars.

First stage: grudge
When two begrudged dwarves meet, the following can happen, from high chance to very small chance:
1) just the bad thought, as it was before.
2) the grudge develops into a feud
3) the grudge ceases to exist, relations shift to passing acquaintance

Second stage: Feud

When two feuding dwarves meet, the following can happen, from high to low chance
1) both dwarves throw a punch at each other. Happy thought 'is happy to have punched someone he dislikes'
Can have legal consequences if witnesses are present. After punching, feud goes down to grudge
2) nothing happens, just a bad thought
3) feud develops into a blood feud

Third stage: Blood feud.
NOTE: Blood feuds cannot exist between relatives. To prevent confusion, let's say marriage overrides blood lineage.
When the blood feud stage is reached, 1st line relatives (parents, spouse, children) of both parties form a grudge with the offending party (not with each other).
When two dwarves with a blood feud meet, they will start a fight (using weapons if they have those), until
1) they are interrupted by a dwarf with sufficient pacifier skill. This will end the fight, and drop the blood feud down to feud, grudge, or even passing acquaintance, depending on pacifier skill level. Note that pacification does not exempt from legal consequence.
2) the fight is interrupted by fortress guard, and justice is served. This will drop the blood feud down to feud, assuming both dwarves survive their sentencing.
3) one party is dead. If this happens, the Blood Feud will develop into a Vendetta

Final Stage: Vendetta
When a dwarf dies in a blood feud fight, his first line relatives develop their grudge against the killer into a blood feud. As a result, the killer's 1st line family will develop grudges with all enemy family members involved in the new Blood feud. Now you have to deal with clan wars!

<your thoughts down there>
          V
          V
          V
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Grudges, feuds, and more advanced grumpiness
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2014, 11:40:38 pm »

Sounds good, though it would be nice to differ with different cultures, once the Toad expands that.
By that I mean some cultures would take a tiny breach of conduct as very offensive, others would not, etc.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2014, 11:42:36 pm »

I just like the words "Advanced Grumpiness". The ideas seem really neat too.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 04:35:41 pm »

THIS WOULD BE AMAZING O_O_O_O_O_O

I'd love to also see that maybe one clan can go off and make their own fort in a nearby embark, or maybe you lose control and they start building their own fort ON THE SOME EMBARK so you can see them on your map! You can't see where they build, and there has to be at least 10 dwarfs on one side of the blood feud/vendetta to make one. They are hostile, and will eventually raid, but at first they leave you alone. They'd be easy to kill at first, and can't get migrants, they must be born in (Or maybe you could let migrants hear about two different fortresses, and they could go join one. If you kill them, you get everything they made, and I mean they could full on build workshops and everything. It would add an interesting aspect to the game, although some would complain. And if they manage to kill you, (Not likely)  they get the fortress, and you get the message of FUN

Let me know to, I actually really love this idea! It'd add sort of an age of empires aspect, that would make DF even more unique!

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 08:56:22 am »

As an afterthought (and also bumping this because I think it's very much in line with the current development cycle of personality rewrite), it would be awesome if clan war stage was a global modifier.

It would make for hilarious situations. You though you was safe, when a dwarf was killed in a blood feud fight, that has no relatives in the fort.
But then, the next season his 20 children migrate to your fortress with murder on their minds  8)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 09:06:49 am »

Ooh, dorf version of Hatfields vs Mccoys. Arguably there could be better examples (or even other examples outside of the US), but that's just one of the more well known blood feuds.

WertyMiniBot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2014, 05:40:08 pm »

Why would the family care about all the other dwarves rather than just the family they're at a feud with? It should be that the two sides who have the vendetta make two separate hideouts and attack each other, and when one side is dead, the other side leaves the fortress, going off as bandits to avoid the law. If one side of the family happens to have a noble in the fortress, then the noble stays in the fortress, occasionally ordering the military dwarves to kill the "traitors" without your permission. If both sides have a noble in the fortress, these orders can cause confusion in the military dwarves, probably some sort of loyalty cascade, which will cause even more chaos.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2014, 08:48:12 pm »

Really nice idea and would add some use to a otherwise largely (or utterly) useless social skill as well as deepening relationships. +1
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/