Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do I force Migrant waves?  (Read 4975 times)

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I force Migrant waves?
« on: October 04, 2014, 10:32:26 pm »

I believe something is wrong with my game... It's been an entire year and I haven't had a single migrant wave.

I use to play the previous version and migrant waves where pretty common quickly. This is kind of crippling my gameplay right now. I have DFhack and I can't figure out how to force migrant waves?

Also is it different now for migrant waves? It's been an entire year and no migrants have arrived? I'm stuck at 7 dwarves. thanks

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Re: How do I force Migrant waves?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 10:35:59 pm »

Did you set your population cap at seven, hoping to not get children, receive the two migrant waves, and stay at a small number to avoid major sieges? If so, that's your problem.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

Fewah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 10:42:30 pm »

Did you set your population cap at seven, hoping to not get children, receive the two migrant waves, and stay at a small number to avoid major sieges? If so, that's your problem.

Well then...

if I unset it, will it work or am I screwed?

Meaning do I have to restart my fortress or can I change the population limit now?

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 10:47:31 pm »

Well then...

if I unset it, will it work or am I screwed?

Meaning do I have to restart my fortress or can I change the population limit now?

If you change your population limit, it will effect your current game (provided you save and reload).

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 12:15:15 am »

You can change the pop-caps at any point, just restart the game for them to take effect.

A common strategy for when you want a slow start is to start with a pop-cap of 15, then boost it by 5-15 every season or every spring.  I tend to use 25 for the first year, then increase 5-10 every spring after that.

Illogical_Blox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 09:01:17 am »

When I did this, not receiving the first two migrant waves, and increased the pop cap, I received them in the second year in the same way as normal.
Me: "Just imagine a load of dwarves sitting round a table, and one of them says, 'I like stranglers for... for their... their...'"
Brother: "SOFT HANDS!"

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 12:53:10 pm »

In DF2014 - the first two migrant waves are no longer hard-coded to occur.  You will only get migrants if your current pop is below the pop-cap.  Babies can still push you over the pop-cap number, but will never push you over the strict pop-cap number.

(Not sure if there is still the 1-3 season "lag" between the time the game says "send migrants" and they arrive.  My suspicion is that no longer happens.)