Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Glass-roofed areas - indoors or outdoors?  (Read 614 times)

ToxicFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Glass-roofed areas - indoors or outdoors?
« on: March 13, 2008, 10:04:00 pm »

So far, I've observed that:
- anything open to the sky is "outdoors"
- anything not, even if above ground or directly connected to an outdoors tile, is "indoors"
What about areas roofed over in transparent materials like glass? Do those count as outdoors? What I'm after here is an area that the dwarves will see as "outdoors" and thus avoid when "dwarves stay indoors" is set, but which is not actually accessible from outside.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
Re: Glass-roofed areas - indoors or outdoors?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 10:10:00 pm »

glass walls (and floors) are exactly the same as any other material wall/floor - so they count as indoors just like everything else.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 11:01:00 pm »

do grates count?
The great game of Warlocks!

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 02:46:00 am »

yep, grates make the tiles beneath them "indoors."

On a different note, I think the "dwarves stay inside" order really means "dwarves stay underground."  I could be wrong about this, but my dwarves never seem to want to go in my tower when I have them stay inside.  Therefore, so long as the tile is listed as above-ground, you should be fine.

All generalizations are false....including this one.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 02:54:00 am »

If glass blocks light in the game, that could make above-house greenhouses possible.
You hollow out the greenhouse at least two levels underground, knock out the floor above it, coat it in glass, build a farm and then expose it. If done right, this should result in a greenhouse that allows you to grow plump helmets on the (new) surface.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 02:56:00 am »

Yes, the command really means "underground".  Just dig a basement and they'll rush into it.  At least until they start entrance-dancing.

And I'm not sure about grates.  I'm pretty sure that miasma will not form underneath them, but I don't know if it counts as 'outdoors' in any other respect.  I do know, however, that grates cannot support other grates.

By Durin's Beard

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 03:20:00 am »

I can confirm the grates thing. I have several shafts directing sunlight into my fortress, covered by grates. As long as it was just a dug shaft the tile at the bottom was considered 'outdoors' but as soon as the grate was put into place the square changed into an 'indoors' square.

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 04:44:00 am »

A few versions ago, glass ceilings also made the area 'inside' in terms of cave adaption, too. It may have changed recently, but I doubt it.

ToxicFrog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 08:37:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Frelock:
<STRONG>On a different note, I think the "dwarves stay inside" order really means "dwarves stay underground."  I could be wrong about this, but my dwarves never seem to want to go in my tower when I have them stay inside.  Therefore, so long as the tile is listed as above-ground, you should be fine.</STRONG>

It's not listed as above ground, is the thing. Part of my fortress defences (barracks, archery ranges, etc) are underground. I'm after a way of keeping civilians from running around there, or from entrance-dancing on the surface.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 08:52:00 am »

The best thing for this situation is to have an atrium with a bridge as roof. If danger approaches, open the roof, order everyone inside, close the atrium doors, close the bridge-roof, unset the inside order to reduce message spam.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!