Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My glass tower thus far  (Read 1328 times)

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
    • The Online Journal of Leerok the Lacerta
My glass tower thus far
« on: November 21, 2007, 08:28:00 am »

I've produced 463 green glass blocks and 1180 clear glass blocks, mostly for this project.

It is a pity that it won't be remembered in any "legends".

It would be nice if we could declare 3D volumes to be "structures" and name them so that dwarves could talk about the "Soaring Tower of Clarity" that stands six stories from ground level, contains 1000* clear glass blocks, 400* green glass blocks, 42 clear glass statues, 2 green glass tables, 2 green glass thrones, 1 clear glass table, 1 clear glass throne, 12 clear glass portals, 2 green glass thrones, a royal throne room, and a grand dining room.

The fortress has suffered from many goblin sieges, which has currently brought my population to 14 in the year of 1075, excluding the countess, tax collector, hammerer, and count consort. This has slowed the construction of my glass tower, but I expect that more dwarves will eventually appear to expedite the process. My expedition leader, 'Akira' Gimiden Zulashkenmetul, is still alive and well, performing the duties of Mayor, City Manager, Hoardmaster, City Broker, and Captain of the Guard simultaneously and with all due competence. Unfortunately, in a recent goblin siege, he has suffered a permanent lower spine injury. He does not seem to be affected, however. While the population is so low, 'Akira' must build the tower himself while the others perform other duties.  Eight of them happen to be children, so I effectively have six dwarves except when I harvest plants or remove constructions.

You can view the fortress at the Map Archive.
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-1510-glidedwhipped-region1

Tarhue

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: My glass tower thus far
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007, 08:48:00 am »

I like your idea of dwarves naming structures within your fortress and made a post about it in the suggestions forum here.

Gaulgath

• Bay Watcher
  • ♪ Gold gold gold gold ♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007, 10:29:00 am »

Very awesome.  :D

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007, 02:12:00 pm »

I don't think dwarves consider anything worthy of being a legend unless it menaces with something.

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007, 02:26:00 pm »

If I had placed this tower in a temperate region, it would have menaced with spikes of water every winter.

Leerok the Lacerta

• Bay Watcher
  • Linuxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2007, 10:10:00 am »

Ach, I bloody lost the fortress. Those goblin sieges took their toll and took more of my working dwarves. After years of no immigration, I abandoned the fortress, thinking that I could reclaim it.

Alas, I seemed to be mistaken. I had caged a dragon and a bronze colossus, and they destroy my seven dwarves each time. I've tried marksdwarves, speardwarves, axedwarves, hammerdwarves, a good mix of all of them, and over fifty war dogs, but I could only manage to permanently wound the colossus' two eyes.

I've tried using adjuststart.exe, but it only affects new fortresses and not reclaims.

Ah well. I've started a new game using adjuststart.exe and I'm hoping to build an even bigger and better glass tower. I wonder, is there a way to recapture the fortress back from the bronze colossus?

Here's the last backup before the abandonment:
http://rapidshare.com/files/71497942/Glidedwhipped.rar

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2007, 10:53:00 am »

You could go to it in adventure mode with a suitably strong party, maybe. That's probably about the only way, besides cheating. If you wanted to do that, skill levels can be searched for in Artmoney/Cheat Engine and such. I once made every starting dwarf legendary in everything. That was fun.

[ November 22, 2007: Message edited by: Eagleon ]

Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2007, 08:38:00 am »

How do you build stuff on the higher floors ? When i try to build anything it says that construction is already present, so i am at a loss.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2007, 08:41:00 am »

You build a up stair on the ground, and designate a down stair one z-level above.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007, 08:49:00 am »

And that helps me build on higher floors...how ?

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2007, 09:21:00 am »

There is a difference between constructed floors and floors naturally created with walls. You can build on top of the floors provided by walls but not on the purpose built floors. If you want to build something different in that space, remove the floor first.