Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Survivor from an abandoned fortress ... ringleader?  (Read 2209 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Survivor from an abandoned fortress ... ringleader?
« on: October 11, 2014, 11:04:40 am »

My last fortress (embarked inside a goblin lair) was swarmed by demons from hell, everyone was dead except a possessed planter.
The planter was at a leather works demanding silk cloth. Unable to do anything so I retired the fortress.
After unretired the fortress I found the planter had gone stark raving mad, wandering in his demon infested bed room.
I abandoned the fortress before he got killed.

Then I started a new game that embarked just besides my last fortress. It appeared to be another goblin lair(or part of previous one, I'm not sure), there were several corral things filled by all kinds of tamed animals. The mad planter was inside one of them, sharing one tile with a stay kangaroo.  :o

Edit*

Well that's strange, last time I checked the mad planter, he blinked like any legendary one and his profession also changed to 'ringleader'.  :o
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 09:54:23 pm by utunnels »
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Survivor from an abandoned fortress
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2014, 11:35:46 am »

I had this happen earlier except with 3 sane dwarfs who decided to do what i did; claim the land. These 3 dwarfs were survivors from the undead and i embarked next door where they built a hemp cloth tent. In the end everyone got killed by undead ravens.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Re: Survivor from an abandoned fortress ... ringleader?
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2014, 09:53:21 pm »

Yeah I didn't think that was possible. It's just awesome. 8)

BTW, topic updated.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2014, 10:10:59 pm »

Circus joke?

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 07:37:19 am »

Who doesn't corral their food animals?
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 08:14:33 am »

Usually the "corrals" I use are more artifacts of controlled indoor grass growing rather than actual corrals meant to contain and separate animal stock populations for breeding and resource control...  If I have a large fortress wall (bigger, now that enemies climb), I am content to just subdivide a large paddock into grazing pitches, and let them wander.

(And to be quite honest, I have often wondered about some of the "Sharing a tile" with animals that I have seen dwarves get up to. Sure, I could see crawling under the great big bull ox if the hallway is 1 tile wide, and there is no other way through-- But out in an open pasture, repeatedly? I know toady hasn't and probably would never implement such "kink", but sometimes I DO wonder what they are doing out there... Sorry, but the "Mad dwarf sharing a tile with a kangaroo" thing brought it to mind.)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 08:45:05 am »

Well perhaps the game doesn't consider madness as a valid factor. When a new game starts it just checks if there's any survivor from previous fortress and generats some tents/corrals/whatever.

As for the mad planter, I traded his clothes for some logs and barrels, butchered his animals for food. Eventually he died from dehydration. RIP.