Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drowning Chamber/Fishing Chamber without Windmill or Waterwheel  (Read 1166 times)

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Drowning Chamber/Fishing Chamber without Windmill or Waterwheel
« on: September 21, 2014, 04:14:44 pm »

I've just started going about constructing the first movements towards a drowning chamber/fish-catching room, though the wiki was difficult to understand with regard how to pump out the water. I know that I need a windmill+screw pumps, but I'm not quite sure of where to put them/how to make them work. I've constructed a windmill but my map is apparently windless, and there are no rivers since I've got a beachside residence.  Damn. What do I do?

Pic related is the setup. Apologies for being a pleb and using tileset.

ToadChild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drowning Chamber/Fishing Chamber without Windmill or Waterwheel
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 04:21:10 pm »

You can always just use a dwarf with the pump operating labor to manually run the screw pump.  Wind/water power just make it more convenient.

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 04:23:03 pm »

Great, thankyou. Btw, how do I set up the pumps?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 04:24:25 pm »

Pic:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Dwarf-power is more than sufficient to operate pumps to reset your chamber. If you still want to automate it, you can use waterwheels by creating some flowing water in a channel. For instance, add a drain to your chamber, send the draining water through a waterwheel, and use the generated power to pump more water out of your chamber to empty it faster.

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 04:28:52 pm »

Dwarf-power is more than sufficient to operate pumps to reset your chamber.
Okay, but where would the pumps go; and where would the drainage (the water that is going to be drained off to reset the chamber) go? I guess I could drain it to the caverns, but that's going to be annoying to dig.

Merendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 04:43:41 pm »

You said beachside so you have the ocean to play with, you could build the whole thing without needing pumps at all as long as you build it at least 1 layer below sea level.
For filling a tunnle leading from the chamber to the ocean with a floodgate bridge or whatever to seal it when you dont want water flowing in.
For drainage you have two main options for unpowered.  First draining into the caverns, this is not as hard as you'd think as a shaft of updownstairs is sufficient.  If you cant make a shaft down due to it intercecting your fort you can either wall off open areas where needed on the way down or go with the second option.  Option two is dig a tunnle to the map edge on the level of the drowning trap.  If your trap is in a soil layer you'll need to dig down to a stone level at some point along this tunnle.  once at the map edge you cant dig out the last tile but you can smooth it then carve fortifications into it.  This will alow water to drain out from that point.

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 08:45:05 pm »

Aw god I'm an idiot. I managed to breach the acquifer and my fort is starting to flood. So, being the concious overseer I am, I've told Urist to dig the central staircase to the caverns.

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 09:23:01 pm »

Update: I'm going to do the off-the-side-of-the-map gambit since the drainage is taking far too long the other way.

MuseOD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 10:41:08 pm »

Welp, an idiotic engraver wandered into the tunnel that goes off the map, so I'm trying slowly to extricate him.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 06:27:54 am »

I've found that the dwarf-wash-waterfall is a great place for loosing superfluous dorfish babies. Generally I do put some sort of escape stair near the water-out fortifications, though, just in case. ...It's always amusing when the area fills with buckets. They all just float downstream, and eventually someone goes to get the masterwork bucket, and gets stuck down there with the occasional bobbing baby.

Is there a way of removing all the layers of mud which develop in the dwarf wash, by the way? They keep growing plants...
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 07:39:56 am »

I've found that the dwarf-wash-waterfall is a great place for loosing superfluous dorfish babies. Generally I do put some sort of escape stair near the water-out fortifications, though, just in case. ...It's always amusing when the area fills with buckets. They all just float downstream, and eventually someone goes to get the masterwork bucket, and gets stuck down there with the occasional bobbing baby.

Is there a way of removing all the layers of mud which develop in the dwarf wash, by the way? They keep growing plants...

Build a floor/road then remove it.