Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military Training- Resolved  (Read 1625 times)

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
  • Here lies a !!Shred of Sanity!!
    • View Profile
Military Training- Resolved
« on: September 20, 2014, 02:31:36 pm »

For some reason, my military Dwarves won't train. They've been set to train 10 times a month in the schedule screen and have been set to a barracks, but I rarely if ever see "individual combat drill" or "individual combat drill/rest" and nothing else. What am I doing wrong?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 02:47:01 pm by Quartz_Mace »
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Quartz Mace cancels living: demons embedded in everything.
Ass möde is a way of life
Retired/Extended Sigs

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Military Training
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 02:41:45 pm »

Set the requirement lower, to like 5.  The order is "You need 10 dwarves here to train." but dwarf #5 is asleep and dwarf #9 is getting a drink.  So training is on pause.  Oh, #5 woke up but now #2 is going to go eat...  Set it to "minimum 5 training" and the other 5 can attend their personal issues while the other 5 actually set up classes.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 02:46:11 pm »

Oh, I see. I set it to ten, but there are only 5 Dwarves in the squad, so it's impossible to complete. Thanks for the help! I suck with the military, but I've realized how useful it is and am trying to better.
Welcome, newcomer, to this place of madness, also referred to as the forums of the Twelfth Bay. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 02:56:32 pm »

Oh, I see. I set it to ten, but there are only 5 Dwarves in the squad, so it's impossible to complete. Thanks for the help! I suck with the military, but I've realized how useful it is and am trying to better.
You generally want 1/2 of your squad training, rounded up.

If you have two dwarves, it's a lot easier to get them to go into 'sparring' which is the exact same as combat, but with less injury, and trains a lot of relevant skills.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military Training- Resolved
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 05:09:19 pm »

Number requirements determine how many dwarfs are actually drafted to active service as proper military. If the "minimum" is equal to or even higher than the number of squad members, everyone gets activated and that's it. If there was a "too many desired" bug, it's been fixed. My five-dwarf squad trained just fine with a setting of minimum ten. If you want your squad to train at maximum efficiency in .40.x, just leave the training setting as is ("minimum ten").

If dwarfs don't actually train, it may be that they haven't been activated - "s"quad commands - "t" (activate to follow schedule). If you don't do this, they'll remain in reserve and won't follow the schedule you have laid out; they'll never do more than individual drills in this mode; it's easily recognised because they all keep their civilian professions. An active squad is listed under their military professions (Speardwarf, Axedwarf etc.) and only active squads will engage in the full range of training.

Quartz_Mace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 05:35:51 pm »

Number requirements determine how many dwarfs are actually drafted to active service as proper military. If the "minimum" is equal to or even higher than the number of squad members, everyone gets activated and that's it. If there was a "too many desired" bug, it's been fixed. My five-dwarf squad trained just fine with a setting of minimum ten. If you want your squad to train at maximum efficiency in .40.x, just leave the training setting as is ("minimum ten").

If dwarfs don't actually train, it may be that they haven't been activated - "s"quad commands - "t" (activate to follow schedule). If you don't do this, they'll remain in reserve and won't follow the schedule you have laid out; they'll never do more than individual drills in this mode; it's easily recognised because they all keep their civilian professions. An active squad is listed under their military professions (Speardwarf, Axedwarf etc.) and only active squads will engage in the full range of training.
They're active and are working now. They were always activated but just wouldn't really work with the ten minimum. Techinically, they were doing some demonstrations, but very few and would never spar. Now, they always have a demonstration or are sparring on good occasions.
Retired/Extended Sigs

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 10:15:28 pm »

I went and tried it with a full ten-dwarf squad, with constant 10 minimum training requirement, and it worked normally. I went with a marksdwarf squad equipped with hammers (to enable sparring) and they took their sweet time getting there (sparring _is_ skill-dependant, and they wouldn't start before they were at least in the novice/adequate range, which had to be gained through individual drills), but after eight months of drills and demonstrations, sparring has begun. I don't know what's been going on in your fort, maybe skills had to be built up before sparring could start. Setting the training minimum below the number of squad members is _not_ required to get proper training (in .40.x - smaller or lower-requirement squads _did_ help in .34.11, but no more); dwarfs will _not_ wait for a sleeping/eating/drinking dwarf with their training (something like this rarely happened in .34.11, but no more).

Fiddling with the settings might arguably have helped getting a spar-readier squad composition, but i have my doubts.

Smallish squads with even skills and at least moderate skills to begin with usually start sparring quickly and level up very fast - with the small differences, there's hardly the need felt to even out skills through demonstrations. I'd still just make a four- or five-dwarf squad and assign the full number per month instead of setting a ten-dwarf squad to partial training, because as i said, a reduced minimum primarily means fewer dwarfs actually get mobilised per month, and i fail to see the point in putting them into a training squad when i then don't order them to engage in on-duty training; off-duty melee training isn't very useful.

Borge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 12:04:09 am »

I have had my entire squad training without issue. They might not be ecstatic but they are still very happy especially once they reach legendary. After having a huge amount of military experience through multiple fortresses the minimum training does not seem to mean they won't train until 10 show up, it just means that all 10 in the squad actively train unless they are getting equipment, getting provisions or sleeping. If you have minimum 8 training, 2 dwarves will simply sit in the meeting area, do individual drills, or perform civilian jobs until it is their turn to train again. Having all 10 dwarves training they reached legendary very quickly.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 01:52:07 am by Borge »