Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Gun Francisco (conworld) - deviantArt, attention split etc.  (Read 11642 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: El Fierro: New Dark Ages (previously Gun Francisco) - now on Reddit! (kinda)
« Reply #76 on: September 10, 2014, 04:03:55 pm »

Just gonna hop in and say I thought Gun Francisco was an awesome name and I'm sad you changed it. :P

This is a neat project, though, and I'm enjoying following this thread.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: El Fierro: New Dark Ages (previously Gun Francisco) - now on Reddit! (kinda)
« Reply #77 on: September 10, 2014, 04:24:08 pm »

I like the new name better, but I think you should shorten it to just "Fierro".

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 10, 2014, 04:30:46 pm »

I might change back to Gun Francisco later down the line, but at least I still name (some of) my images with the gunfran_ prefix. :P
In the meantime, first batch of reposts from the subreddit, go:

Spoiler: The Cobalt Corps (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Technology (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Vehicles (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Londinium (click to show/hide)

I like the new name better, but I think you should shorten it to just "Fierro".

Hm...I might. Fierro sounds decent in and of itself, but we'll see.

Also I'll probably set up a personal wiki for this because it will probably make it a lot easier for me to organize the whole shebang. Anyone here know of any personal wiki apps that work on both Windows 7 and Windows Phone? I tried looking but to no avail.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2014, 03:09:38 pm »

The Cobalt Corps was once a famous corps..
Wait, what does this mean, exactly? A corps of what? They were a part of the American military? Why are they called Cobalt Corps, is it just because they're badasses?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 12, 2014, 06:21:49 am »

The Cobalt Corps was once a famous corps..
Wait, what does this mean, exactly? A corps of what? They were a part of the American military? Why are they called Cobalt Corps, is it just because they're badasses?

Derp, forgot to mention the fact they were indeed a part of the American army.
(They actually had a more official name at one point but nobody remembers it...Myself included.)

RULE OF COOL IS THE NUMBER ONE RULE I GUESS?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #81 on: September 12, 2014, 08:41:43 am »

RULE OF COOL IS THE NUMBER ONE RULE I GUESS?
YES INDEEDY

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2014, 09:07:12 pm »

Just gonna hop in and say I thought Gun Francisco was an awesome name and I'm sad you changed it. :P

This is a neat project, though, and I'm enjoying following this thread.
I agree with this. Gun Francisco was just so cheesy and awesome! But regardless, this is a great project.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Fierro (conworld) (previously Gun Francisco, El Fierro) - now on Reddit!
« Reply #83 on: September 20, 2014, 03:38:24 pm »

Screw it, poll time!

There seems to be much dispute over this, and I'm also conflicted on it, so I'll let you guys decide on the name!
Cheesy Gun Francisco or edgy Fierro? You have (almost) exactly one week! On the 27th of September, 10PM CEST, the name shall be set (semi-)permanently.

I have something pretty big brewin' up, but I'm not in the mood to write about it right now, so I'll leave you with a small teaser instead...

What could it mean? Come back soon to learn more!

flame99

• Bay Watcher
  • Lady Stardust & her songs of darkness and disgrace
    • View Profile
Re: Fierro (conworld) (previously Gun Francisco, El Fierro) - vote for the name!
« Reply #84 on: September 20, 2014, 03:41:07 pm »

Hm...Kind of looks like a medieval helmet. A Knight-ish faction, maybe?
It/its, they/them, in order of preference.

Not gay as in happy, queer as in fuck you.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Fierro (conworld) (previously Gun Francisco, El Fierro) - vote for the name!
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2014, 05:40:25 pm »

ShadowHammer

• Bay Watcher
  • God is love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2014, 08:42:05 pm »

Hmm... The newer one looks like... a locket/amulet/stopwatch? I have no idea what that would imply gameplay-wise, though.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 21, 2014, 06:16:03 am »

It's time to talk about something I have not done in the longest while!
Gameplay mechanics!

While the vision of a "2D retro platformer shooter" has kind of fallen to the side, at least in the "2D retro" department, I have still been doing some concepts for it, though world building largely took priority.

However, one of the things that I did do was trying to come up with an interesting and relatively unique skill system. I despise simple "energy+cooldown" systems because they feel arbitrary, limiting and not really all that engaging.
And for that, I've come up with a skill system I think sounds really fun, and to better demonstrate it, I've brought my design docs with me, even if they barely look like design docs. Check them out!
Spoiler: Wall of images ahead! (click to show/hide)

Feel free to AMA about the skill system. Cheers!

Oh, also, here's some more re-posts from /r/worldbuilding...
Spoiler: Games (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: General Lunnett (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Something about years (click to show/hide)

And a bonus repost from /r/characterdevelopment about one of the characters (which may or may not have been one of the beasts from the concepts above...

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 25, 2014, 07:30:11 am »

Early and small update today, but three important-ish things:

- looks like there's not even a point in driving the name poll further, Gun Francisco is here to stay!
- I've dug up my ancient dA account and put up some pieces of GF art in there, and I'll be posting all of it there now, and probably do some reposts/originals in my journal, so feel free to follow me or something.
- My worldbuilding focus will now be split between GF and another setting, so updates will be slower. In case you're interested in the latter, I've made a pitch of it in here - it's in essence my own take on making a "cool" cartoon from the 80s. Guess this happens when you have put over 1k hours of Awesomenauts...

Some Chrononauts things will also pop up on my dA as well, but less than Gun Francisco because apparently I can't draw Chrononauts stuff...Darn.

So yeah, expect me to post GF stuff even less now, but I'm most definitely not abandoning GunFran. I haven't done that in the past year, I certainly won't now.

Just so this isn't pure text, here is an image I made yesterday while chatting with some people on Skype.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]