Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can't stop the child sociopath?!  (Read 952 times)

ddenney1211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Can't stop the child sociopath?!
« on: September 16, 2014, 05:02:02 pm »

Hello all, so I've been playing a little bit more lately after a very long hiatus. I finally managed to get a fort to reach over 100, to approximately 125 including children and this is after surviving a small tantrum spiral early on that caused the death of half my fort.

Well, I ended up having a wereelk show up, my second one after killing the first, and thankfully noone got infected, he killed all those that didn't make it inside, about 10 dwarfs. Well, I have trouble getting dwarfs to stay 100% busy so i tended to have around 15-20 dwarfs idling at anny given time. Some being my engravers and farmers as once they do their thing they wait around for more work.

Anyways, the death of 10 dwarfs was enough to cause a tantrum with a few dwarfs, at first it was a carpenter and a doctor, but next I had 3-5 children tantruming! I couldn't do a thing to the children as they aren't penalized for anything via the justice system. My two adults were in jail for 500 and 50 days respectively, but the children who 2 of which destroyed several building and injured many others were left to go about their business tantrum. Only shortly after 1 of them went nuts and decided to kill 2 of my dwarfs and injuring another 2 so badly they died from their wounds. All the while they were left un-prosecuted even after conviction. This led to a TS that caused me to abandon the fortress when I saw my numbers drop down to 40 with all of them angry. Thus I did the only thing a sane dwarf overseer can do. I walled up my legendary miner after he died in his grand mausoleum then sealed the entrance with our drawbridge and the lower levels of the fort and proceeded to flood the few levels open to the fort killing everyone inside and sealing our fortune away from the world.

My question is, is this a bug or something normal? Do children just get away scot-free from all their crimes? I know I could have recovered from a few dwarfs tantrumming but with the killing the one child did it was irreparable.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
Re: Can't stop the child sociopath?!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 12:19:54 am »

Yeah it's normal, dwarven "justice" is typically anything but, even in the best of times.

Stuff like this is why I started incorporating a "Children's Keep" into every fort I have. Basically it's just a minifort that you burrow all the kids into, deep within but separate the main one and stocked with enough food, clothing and a well to last the little devils until they grow up/the siege that killed all the adults gets bored and goes away. Keeps them from messing with anything important and protects them from the occasional kidnapper.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

ddenney1211

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Can't stop the child sociopath?!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 02:27:08 pm »

Thanks that is a good idea, I'll have to use that next time I play and build a fort.