Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Logging for Fishing?  (Read 1351 times)

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Logging for Fishing?
« on: September 05, 2014, 02:15:41 am »

Is there a log somewhere which tells how often a fisher-dwarf catches fish? Wondering if I can correlate that to skills level somehow. Highly skilled fishers seemingly overwhelm cleaners at a certain point. Is there a way to measure catch rates so as to set the optimal fisher to cleaner to kitchen ratio?

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Logging for Fishing?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 08:03:15 pm »

Hm.. Perhaps if someone wrote a script for dfhack? But in vanilla, I see no way for it to be done.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 10:07:03 pm »

Aw, I was really hoping this was going to be a post about cutting down trees to kill fish with falling logs
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 04:36:45 pm »

Aw, I was really hoping this was going to be a post about cutting down trees to kill fish with falling logs

....That's.. Not a bad idea...
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 05:00:15 pm »

....That's.. Not a bad idea...

It's a funny idea, but still bad.  :)

draeath

• Bay Watcher
  • So it has come to this...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 11:52:37 am »

Is it a carp? Is it a larch?

OH CRAP RUN! IT'S A CARCH!
Urist McAlchemist cancels extract isotope: interrupted by supercriticality accident.
This kea is so raw it stole my wheelbarrow!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 11:54:45 am »

A good fisherman can provide more food than a whole farm, at least until the vermin go extinct.  They are serious business.

---

If you set up an only fish stockpile close to the fishing spot/fishery you could do some rough tests.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 12:05:56 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

jwhite.df

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2014, 12:09:45 pm »

I've definitely been almost buried in fish that cleaners couldn't keep up with. But I'm wondering about skill and source abundance and the other things that go into that.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2014, 12:42:04 pm »

Dont know if this has changed in recent versions, but you could definitely fish out sources pretty quick.

I dont know how you'd get metrics, its not like the little guys keep the fish on their kill lists or anything.  My gut feeling -- and I dont have any metrics for this, just the way it seems -- is that fishing an area out is based on fishing ATTEMPTS not total fish CAUGHT.

It seems to me that an amateur fisher will bring a lot lest fish out of a pond before it goes empty, when compared to a legendary.  But this is just anecdotal.