Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: He has the appearance...  (Read 1602 times)

Kolnukbyne

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great laziness.
    • View Profile
He has the appearance...
« on: September 09, 2014, 07:47:45 am »

I've never seen this before and am curious as to whether it's new or not. My current world is 152 years old and I'm guessing that he 'has the appearance' due to being the first of his kind, coming into existence at the 'age' of six years old.
Despite this assumption my first instinct was to shout "vampire!" before bothering to think about it.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Re: He has the appearance...
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2014, 08:02:30 am »

I'd say you are right on both accounts. If they were created at the beginning of worldgen they 'have the appearance of'. Given that he is 150, and Dwarves are usually dead by 140 I'd suspect a vampire.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 09:06:04 am »

It's not new, actually.  You could see this in earlier versions of the game too, especially in young worlds.  No comment on the vampire, as I still have literally no experience with them.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 09:36:47 am »

Yep, it's not a vampire; it's just one of the first of his kind, ie if the birthdate of something is before the start of worldgen. Not vampire related at all.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 09:51:25 am »

I'd say you are right on both accounts. If they were created at the beginning of worldgen they 'have the appearance of'. Given that he is 150, and Dwarves are usually dead by 140 I'd suspect a vampire.
Dwarves can, in theory, live to 150-170 years. Most, of course, meet worse fates.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 09:58:17 am »

Dwarves can, in theory, live to 150-170 years. Most, of course, meet worse fates.
Im suspicious of him just based on the text.  Id start checking his acquaintances and relations, his former memberships.  If he has a plethora of either, I'd waterboard him.  Or station him somewhere and see if he needs to eat.  He'll run off to eat eventually; he won't stay stationed if he has a dire need (which vampires don't have).
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 10:45:02 am »

its not vampire related...Gen a world that is only say 10 years old...you will find ALL of your people say that in the description. the first generation always says it like that because they were usually born before "time" or whatever.

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2014, 11:40:07 am »

its not vampire related...Gen a world that is only say 10 years old...you will find ALL of your people say that in the description. the first generation always says it like that because they were usually born before "time" or whatever.
If you gen a lot of Very Short histories to test things, you will see your starting Seven all have descriptions like "She has the appearance of somebody who is nine years old."  Then I spawn monsters near them to test my mod and feel bad that these kids have to suffer for !!SCIENCE!!.
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2014, 11:41:43 am »

Alternatively, Dwarf Therapist (unless its been worked out) will actually display the vampire's true name, despite any false ones he/she will use.

You end up with one dwarf whose name you don't have on your unit list, match up his skills, and murderate him.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 03:34:07 pm »

Alternatively, Dwarf Therapist (unless its been worked out) will actually display the vampire's true name, despite any false ones he/she will use.

You end up with one dwarf whose name you don't have on your unit list, match up his skills, and murderate him.
It's been fixed. DT can tell you vampires if you let it, but that would be cheating.