Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artificial Lake  (Read 1095 times)

Warhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artificial Lake
« on: March 12, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »

So I have been playing a bit of Dwarf Fortress and decided to undertake a artificial lake project for no particular reason. I had a brook that is in a canyon that is for the most part sealed up. Im in the process of constructing the dam to hold back the water.

So how do I go about filling the lake? At the moment Im constructing a series of Screw Pumps in a step sort of fashion to simply pump water from the brook and dump it into the canyon the brook is in. Will this work or will the brook absorb the water that is being dumped into the canyon?

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artificial Lake
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 04:26:00 am »

If the brook freezes in winter, you can mine away the ice and build floodgates or a raisebridge in the brook's bed. I'm not sure if the raisebridge works, but if yes, it could be a good solution for a multiple z-levels high dam.
If it doesn't freeze, you can still do it by having a side-bed for the brook and trying to pump empty the main bed in a small section, so you can work there.
Something like this:
code:

~~~~
~~~~%%____  Pump it into the side channel
~~~~  ____  \
~~~~  ____   ¦- This section of the brook should be shallow enough to build in
~~~~  ____  /
~~~~______  Let it flow in back again
~~~~

The brook in this picture flows from top to bottom.

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: zagibu ]

99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Warhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 12:36:00 pm »

I already have the brook damned up and the 3 story dam is just needing a few more blocks. Also have the pumping station nearly completed. What I wanted to know was if filling the canyon was possible with the brook at the bottom of the canyon. The brook is at the bottom of the canyon that I want to fill. Will pumping the water out of the brook onto the rock next to it be enough to fill the canyon or will the brook absorb that water preventing it from filling.

Othob Rithol

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Dark Snathi, Rain & Tom Bombadil
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 02:19:00 pm »

IIRC brooks are nothing more than a channel with a special floor tile on top.
As long as you have blocked off all the possible exits for the water (which it sounds like you have) it should fill. I am sure you are aware of this, but it will only fill to the level of the highest pump.

If the water coming out of a given pump can fall to a lower Z level (and thus cycle around to the same pump's intake) you will get choppy results and a serious FPS hit sometimes. When this happens in my projects I just shut it off, let the water smooth out, and restart. You do have an off switch, right?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 04:50:00 pm »

The only water features that can absorb water are aquifers. Water dumped on a river/brook/lake/ocean/pond will remain on top of the river/brook/lake/ocean/pond.

However, if the pump is placing the water it pumps back onto the source it's pumping from, then what that other guy described will happen.

[ March 13, 2008: Message edited by: Untelligent ]

The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Warhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 07:47:00 pm »

I got the dam completed and its filling with the pumps working. Should have built more than one pumping station but its to late for that now. Its actually running very smooth even with the water being pumped. I have 75 dwarfs of which 15 - 20 are idle and Im getting 30 - 40 FPS. Now I just need to wait for it to fill.