Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A problem with a fey metalsmith  (Read 454 times)

ScatmanJohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
A problem with a fey metalsmith
« on: July 09, 2007, 10:05:00 am »

My metalsmith just went fey in the autumn of my second year and he needs a forge to do his work on. I started to build a regular forge as soon as he went fey, but I dug into the magma flow soon afterwards. The wiki says that dwarves will use only a magma forge in fey moods if the player has reached the magma, but in this case the dwarf went fey when the magma wasn't yet available. Do I have to use magma forge or will a regular one do?

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A problem with a fey metalsmith
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 10:44:00 am »

Unsure of this one. Build the basic forge, if it doesn't work, and you don't have a piece of steel yet, prepare for an insane metalsmith.

The magma forge requires an anvil and a piece of steel, and making steel will take too long on the normal forge most likely.

ScatmanJohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 12:09:00 pm »

Yeah, I'm building a regular forge and my smelterdorf is making charcoal for the steel. I'm not sure if I'll make it in time though and I don't have any military yet. I think more than one dwarf will die before this is over.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 12:20:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ScatmanJohn:
[QB]A problem with a fey metalsmith[QB]

man, i clicked on this thread hopeing to see something about glam-rocking dwarfs.

ScatmanJohn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 12:51:00 pm »

Well, I finished the regular forge and now the smith claimed it. Guess this will turn out alright.

Edit: He sketches pictures of a quarry, an ore mine and rough gems. Great, with my luck he needs platinum and star sapphires or something.

Edit2: He started making something with 3 gold nuggets, one raw green glass and one basalt boulder. Result was an awesome gold crown and the dwarf is now a legendary metalcrafter. Not the skill I hoped for, but oh well.

[ July 09, 2007: Message edited by: ScatmanJohn ]

Ravendas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 09:54:00 pm »

I got one of those too, and a legendary jeweler. What I do is have the metalcrafter make some gold/platinum trinkets, and have the only stockpile for gold/platinum trinkets next to the jeweling shop. Then I just stick some random gems in them, and get a ridiculous amount of cash from each item. Really makes your place worth a lot more.

Of course, putting gems in ammo is worth more, but I consider that kinda exploitish, so I refuse to do that. Platinum mastercrafted trinkets + images engraved in gems on it = pretty items.