Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs aren't using their bins... and the case of the m  (Read 646 times)

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs aren't using their bins... and the case of the m
« on: July 07, 2007, 01:56:00 am »

I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I'm doing something wrong.

I have a furniture storage room with several empty (I checked) bins in it. I have several other storerooms around the fortress, one of which is for finished goods, another for gems, and so on. None of these are utilizing my bins - instead they're just putting items on the floor.

Could it be that my dwarfs are too busy hauling other stuff to bother organizing the storerooms?

Also, my metalsmith came with my first anvil, but I didn't get around to trying to make a metalworker's shop until the next year. In the meantime, he went stark raving mad. Now, I can't find the anvil. He's not carrying it, it's not in my furniture storeroom, and it doesn't show up when I try to build the metalworker's shop. Am I just out of luck?

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs aren't using their bins... and the case of the m
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 02:46:00 am »

Ah, it hardly matters now... a flood washed out my bridge, and the dwarfs on the outer side starved before I noticed. And the dwarfs on the inside refused to build a new bridge, even a 1 unit wide one, because they couldn't find the path. I tried making a new bridge a few units up the river and the same thing happened... I eventually had to abandon the place because I couldn't figure it out.

Tharg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 04:39:00 am »

With rebuilding the bridge, the problem would probably have been that you chose at least one rock on the opposite side that they couldn't get to.  When this happens you can just try selecting different rocks.

I think that if you mine more rocks, they will be added to the end of the list, so you can then be sure these are what you select.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 12:00:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Tharg:
<STRONG>I think that if you mine more rocks, they will be added to the end of the list, so you can then be sure these are what you select.</STRONG>

this is correct.

about the anvil though, the smith tends to drop it outside when he first arrives.  often, theyre just laying out there somewhere. since yours does not show up when you try to build the forge, youre kinda boned:

a mandril or racoon could have stolen it, though i have seen them bypass anvils in favor of smaller items (crafts / food) before.

it could have been destroyed by falling into a river or the chasm.  or theres the rather unlikely event that you dropped a drawbridge on it.

its possible to requisition a new one when the dwarf town liason shows up.  but to get him to show up, you first need a bookkeeper.  and to get a book keeper, you need to mint some coins.  and guess what you need to mint coins?  go on, guess ;(

about the bins, youre probably right.  to busy to reorganize.  give them more time, and they will likely get to it.  or set some of your next migrants to be dedicated haulers.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2007, 03:57:00 pm »

lol, thanks guys. There's always more to learn with this game. Maybe that's why I like it - learning to play is a game unto itself!

Well, I'm off to try again! Pity that this was my most successful fortress to date, but that doesn't really matter, since I like the initial organization and design phase the best anyway!