Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: **SPOILER WARNING ** Wasted effort?  (Read 861 times)

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: **SPOILER WARNING ** Wasted effort?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2008, 02:16:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Derakon:
<STRONG>Nope, because ice constructions don't melt.</STRONG>

Lead them up to a room that was previously filled with water, but has been frozen in some 'tactical' places. Channel everything out, and you have an anti-fire spirit collapsing chamber that will destroy the demon when it passes through.

Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2008, 02:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Temetrix - Nilkôn Måmgoz:
<STRONG>

Off Topic, but. Awesome story you made from that. This is why losing is fun.

:)

[ May 09, 2008: Message edited by: Samyotix ]

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »

I'm too busy winning to lose properly...

By that I mean that I don't play DF casually anymore.  Everything's done for some story or another.  I never just kick back, roll a random name, and strike the earth at lobstercloistered, the expendable fortress.  I've never lost in a really cool way.

In fact...  The only time I've ever lost a fort to something other than boredom was when the temperature setting of the tileedit tool got out of control and I flash-froze my only dwarf.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2008, 05:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Trollvottel:
<STRONG>AFAIK chasms reach the surface usually.</STRONG>

Not always.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Lyrax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2008, 11:34:00 pm »

Kill all the demons.  Equip your army with adamantine weapons and shields if you can.  You won't lose as many that way.
Witty

Comedian
Dabbling Pacifier
Dabbling Judge of Intent
Skilled Forum Poster

Thasero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2008, 02:06:00 am »

I've read that spike/spear traps are a good anti-demon measure.  Creatures that avoid traps - i.e. kobolds and HIDDEN FUN STUFF - can only avoid traps that normally trigger when a critter walks over them.  Spikes are triggered by lever and therefore can be used to nail *anything* that walks over them, whether it's dwarf or pet, friendly or hostile, demon or kobold.

So load up on a bunch of menacing spikes or spears made out of non-flammable material (in case of spirits of fire) and line the hallway to the adamantine mines with lots of them.  Chain up a kitten on the side that's near your fortress to act as canary in the mine, send in an expendable peasant to open the pits (carefully avoiding any admantine, of course) and then just set the lever connected to the spike traps to "repeat" until you feel safe.

The main sticking point for you will be that spikes that won't burn up against spirits of fire are easiest to make if you already have magma.  However, you can super-request spears from the humans and super-request both spears and menacing spikes from the dwarves, and get everything you need from trade with a little patience.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2008, 02:52:00 am »

Technically speaking, spirits of fire are hot enough to melt bauxite.  The aura they put off is significantly hotter than magma.  Just use whatever spike material you've got on hand, it won't make any difference (except in regards to how much damage the spikes will do, of course).  I don't think that they'll actually melt stuff like that.

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2008, 05:39:00 am »

Hey, something that a bug might be useful for.

Small cave-ins are ridiculously easy to trigger since floors can be designed in locations only supported by grates, but can't actually be supported by them.  So, basically, you can have murder holes ready to go.  These murder holes can then trigger secondary cave-ins as well.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2008, 05:56:00 am »

You can do it off of bridges as well.  There's a problem, however, as every shot will cost you a dwarf.

Remember that cave-ins, even manufactured ones, will suck in dwarves standing around the top.  That includes the unfortunate sod who just placed that floor tile.

Temetrix - Nilk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2008, 06:47:00 am »

Hmm I think that you could also 'get rid' of the demons by makin an alternative route from your entrance to the adamantine mines. So that when you close the normal entrance they have to choose the other one. This route then makes them to to go several Z-levels up.

Then you will have deep pit with rectracting bridge/s on it (pit must be closed so its only accessible from top.) The demons have to go over the bridge/s, but when tey are on bridge, you rectract them. And the demons fall to the bottom of your pit trap. If they don't die on impact... well they are trapped on bottom of a deep pit, causing no more harm to your dwarves. And you can harness the magma of the demon pit without any trouble.

If you wish to kill the demons, try:

-Makin the trap pit very deep, maybe they die when falling down
-build the bottom of the pit full of spike traps. And start pulling the lever afer demons are in the pit.
-Also you can dig circle shaped room around the pit on maybe 1 or 2 levels up from its bottom. Then carve the wall separating circle room and pit, full of fortifications and get some marksdwarves there.

um-beer coockies!
Pages: 1 [2]