Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World gen question (volcano with iron, flux, brook/stream/river, tower)  (Read 2108 times)

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is an embark possible that has a volcano, iron, flux, a tower in proximity, and a water source such a river, brook, or stream? I don't want a ocean or lake because I want to use waterwheels. I would also like to have sand, but that's totally optional. :P

I don't know if this is the right place for this but i'm really curious if this is even possible? I haven't been able to generate a world like this at all. I've tried using advanced parameters and Perfect World. Admittedly I have no idea how to use Perfect World too well, I watched a few videos on it but none went too in depth about it.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Aranador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World gen question (volcano with iron, flux, brook/stream/river, tower)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 03:46:38 am »

Yes it is possible.

You may have to gen a lot of worlds.

You can make use of zero-point reactors for water power if you really need to.

I generally do not play with necros, but I have certainly generated plenty of worlds that have everything else you asked for, including the sand and fire clay.

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2014, 07:13:54 am »

I typically gen worlds repeatedly until I find a suitable embark - volcano and river in a 3x3 with no massive cliffs is my go-to embark location. It's harder than you'd expect, since most volcanos tend to blast up like 30+ levels above the water and it ruins my FPS and makes it a pain in the ass to scroll up and down. It can take a while, but I'm picky. If I also searched for flux it would take freaking forever.

It helps to tweak the world gen parameters to your liking - some of the settings don't result in discarded worlds but instead alter the worlds that are generated, such as the [VOLCANO_MIN:1] token. Set that to, say, 50 and browse around until you find a volcano within range of a river. Don't find one? Scrap the world and start over.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 10:03:20 am »

Is an embark possible that has a volcano, iron, flux, a tower in proximity, and a water source such a river, brook, or stream? I don't want a ocean or lake because I want to use waterwheels. I would also like to have sand, but that's totally optional. :P

I don't know if this is the right place for this but i'm really curious if this is even possible? I haven't been able to generate a world like this at all. I've tried using advanced parameters and Perfect World. Admittedly I have no idea how to use Perfect World too well, I watched a few videos on it but none went too in depth about it.
Yep, it's possible.  Only thing missing is the tower, which you can get by removing the history, name & creature seeds and regen'ing with varying civ/world-age parameters.

As I allude to in that post, depending on your goals, there are much easier embarks to find (partial aquifers in a shallow world) secure water & magma within 20 steps of the embark layer.