Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Multiple megabeasts?  (Read 703 times)

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
  • "Player has withdrawn from society!"
    • View Profile
Multiple megabeasts?
« on: September 12, 2014, 03:07:39 pm »

I had a fort in 34.11 that had captured a roc, been attacked by a bronze colossus, and also a hydra. Yet I've never gotten more than one megabeast in the new version. Was something done to make them more rare? Or am I just unlucky? Since 40.05, dragons have been breedable. I'd love to have a roc hatchery (have one of those already) and a dragon hatchery going.
Quote from: Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
Quote from: Eric Blank
Places to jibber madly at each other, got it
Quote from: NJW2000
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple megabeasts?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2014, 03:11:57 pm »

Might just be your luck.

There are a few questions. How large is the world? How many megabeasts are there in the world, and how many are actually alive? Does your fort have a high population or wealth?

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2014, 03:14:55 pm »

Incredible wealth, I've had all four semi-megabeasts show up at this fort. Checking legends mode, there's three rocs, a dragon, and, oddly, five hydras, running around killing stuff. The dragon has a demon in it's kill list... Maybe a human diplomat?
I threw night creature blood into a night creature's heart and she pulled it out and bled to death.
If any of them are made of fire, throw stuff, run, and think non-flammable thoughts.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2014, 03:20:27 pm »

Might be a goblin civ's master. Dragons are actually larger than demons, which would give the dragon an edge in a world-gen conflict.

Your fort's distance from the megabeast may also factor into whether they visit or not.

StagnantSoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 03:25:49 pm »

The megabeasts are pretty efficient, they've killed off a lot of human civs. Elves aren't being bugged, and the dragon burnt down a mountain home. Same one I've reclaimed, so I'm definitely going to meet him eventually. The rest, not so sure.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 05:11:46 pm »

With default settings megabeasts don't survive to the year 250 - at least none survived in my ten test worlds. I even had one died in its first encounter with some gobbo. It was inevitable but disappointing, most of them are dead by the end of second century. If you increase their number and shorten the history you should get more (maybe you are already doing this). Titans seem to be doing better. Maybe it's their more random nature.