Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: How do you get military started quickly?  (Read 3086 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: How do you get military started quickly?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2014, 07:42:45 am »

Has invader AI changed? I had a Goblin siege that refused to enter my gates and just went about murdering random animals rather than coming into the entrance, even when we were right next to it.

I think I read somewhere that invaders now use line of sight to find things to kill instead of magically homing in to your meeting hall.

After few attempts I have accepted that first year sieges are not beatable by military means so I now rely on simple locked doors to keep baddies away until I get some real defenses ready.

My current method for early fortress is to dig a large space which will be either the entrance/trading hall or a part of the farm area in the final fortress layout. I quickly move the dwarves and essential stockpiles into this area, get a door in place and continue digging out the fortress according to the layout I have in mind. This way I can get everything quickly inside and still avoid digging a temporary shelter; although this will require a lot of hauling when stuff is moved from intermediate stockpiles.

For the last few forts I've embarked with a dedicated military/teacher dwarf who will become the militia commander, along with some starter weapon like a spear or a crossbow. After the first migration waves I usually have one or two small squads training. I'll buy more weapons and armor from the first caravan to equip the militia, usually everything they happen to be carrying. Even with this it'll be probably well into the second year before the soldiers have any chance of surviving.
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 2 [3]