Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress Slackbugger "Lazy days" led by Imma Getrund Tuit  (Read 1421 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fortress Slackbugger "Lazy days" led by Imma Getrund Tuit
« on: August 29, 2014, 01:03:44 pm »

SPRING (Season 1)

Copper battle axe
pig tail seeds x 25
pig tail fiber thread x 19
plump helmet spawn x 32
iron picks x 3

cat (male) x 1
cat (female) x 1

Proficient grower x 2
Adequate Wound Dresser
Adequate Surgeon
Adequate Bone Doctor
Adequate Suturer
Proficient Diagnostician
Proficient Appraiser
Proficient Organizer
Proficient Record Keeper
Proficient Clothier

My new home.

It's hot, but there's a brook and trees. The fortress is slightly more secure than some because there is more than a one block gap from nearby hills to the top of the roof. From past experience, I should not rely on that. I'm probably best off ignoring the tempting roof space and not opening up access to it. 

Spring ends, and I am behind schedule in just about every way.

My water feature has no water.

My fortress is still open to all visitors.

My lazy dwarves have still not moved all the stuff from where the wagon was.

My farms still do not exist.

The only consolation is that no goblins have come to visit yet.
()==[:::::::::::::>

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress Slackbugger "Lazy days" led by Imma Getrund Tuit
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2014, 01:52:34 pm »

SUMMER

Work on the water course continues.

I put the lever room in the middle of the fort ground level. The blue exclamation points are notes telling me which lever does which! Very handy to know before pulling one. I plan to have a forbidden door blocking access to this room while not in use.

By the end of summer I'm almost ready to start the water flowing. I add a couple of underground farm rooms to my plans - next to the water tunnel, ready for flooding.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2014, 02:22:58 pm »

AUTUMN (Season 3)

A trade caravan arrives, but it has a Goblin liaison officer with it! I ignore it as an obvious trap. My dwarves are starting to get hungry, having already eaten both horses earlier.  The creek taunts us with its clear water, completely free of fish. In retrospect, I really shouldn't have relied on getting farms running fast.

In a flash of brilliance(?) I make a tiny farm plot where there is some mud left behind from when I broke through to the creek. Mining continues on the real farm rooms.

Late Autumn and my first three plump helmets have been harvested. Quite impressive, seeing as they had to grow underwater.

WINTER (Season 4)

"A vile force of darkness has arrived" then everybody died. D:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 02:28:04 pm by ptb_ptb »

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2014, 05:38:57 pm »

Them Goblins, man! Them goblins...

I wonder if perhaps reclaimed dwarven worldgen forts are NOT as secure as one might have hoped...

Well 4th time's the charm, eh?  Or is it 5th?  I've lost count...

I think it might be time for you to undertake the daunting prospect of setting up a Dwarven Military.  Maybe try embarking with a whole host of moderately trained and armed warriors.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2014, 02:05:20 am »

Them Goblins, man! Them goblins...

I wonder if perhaps reclaimed dwarven worldgen forts are NOT as secure as one might have hoped...

It's a mystery. It's almost as if ruined worldgen forts are located where goblins regularly attack. ;)

I know what went wrong with this one, though. I was too greedy. I embarked with iron picks as they should be more effective than copper in combat so I was relying on having working farms up fast (no food / drink with embark). Then I had to keep the fortress open until I had a water source inside.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2014, 05:05:10 am »

Yeah, it is pretty odd that a fort which was previously overrun by goblins would not only get attacked but prove to have inadequate defenses.

When I need to muddy a large stone floor for farming, I find it most convenient to use a Screw Pump drawing from a water stream below it.  It is quicker and easier to set up than installing floodgates and allows you to choose how much water gets used (be sure to stop the pumping in time) so that you don't have to wait for excess water to drain before farming.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2014, 07:01:28 am »

The third one burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp was attacked by goblins.  But the fourth one stayed up!
Looking forward to more.
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Rafatio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2014, 11:36:29 am »

Enjoying your series a lot. Makes me want to reclaim a worldgen fort myself, once the current one is completely dead. Good luck with the next attempt.