Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: FPS problem  (Read 1098 times)

Skyline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
FPS problem
« on: August 28, 2014, 08:24:02 am »

Hey guys,

I just started a new fortress.. Im in year two or three now with about 80 dwarfes, about 10 children and about 20 animals in my pasture. I didnt do huge projects or mined out much, but my FPS are already down to about 60.
My PC is pretty new (CPU is Intel Core i5 4570 @ 3,2 GHz). When I watched quill18s new series of DF he always had ~99 fps...

So i wanted to ask if this FPS drop is normal or if somethings is wrong with my DF or my PC? I'm using Starter Pack 40.10.

Thanks in advance!

Skyline

Edit:
I uploaded my savegame here, if that helps...
http://www.file-upload.net/download-9447842/save.rar.html
« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 08:30:09 am by Skyline »

Mimodo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FPS problem
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 08:33:55 am »

I'm sitting on about 20FPS in my current fort, so nothing for you to worry about just yet...

Read this article for some tips to help
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Maximizing_framerate
Bay12 Forums... Probably one of the last few sanctuaries on the internet. We're all equally insane in our own way, and it is that insanity that brings us together

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 12:15:07 pm »

2x2 embark, plain forest. Hovering around 60-70 FPS underground and drops to half of it on the surface. 78 dwarves, 41 animals and a small siege. Running on an AMD Phenom II x4 955 3.2 GHz with Soundsense and DF Therapist.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:08:46 pm »

Hey guys,

I just started a new fortress.. Im in year two or three now with about 80 dwarfes, about 10 children and about 20 animals in my pasture. I didnt do huge projects or mined out much, but my FPS are already down to about 60.
My PC is pretty new (CPU is Intel Core i5 4570 @ 3,2 GHz). When I watched quill18s new series of DF he always had ~99 fps...

For an i5, I'd say you're getting pretty good FPS, 60 at population 80. I'm on a i7, population 35, FPS 65 :P
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 02:27:47 pm »

There are many things that affect FPS, try disabling temperature for a little boost.

I also made a mod that has the single goal of improving FPS, but I havent updated it to 40.x yet, but luckily someone else did: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141715.0

Not sure if thats your cup of tea, but it does help FPS quite a bit.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Rum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 03:07:53 pm »

I THINK toady has only done some slight optimization for .40.

Pretty sure there is a good amount of that left on the table before it gets back to .34 levels (where i could have a fort of 150 dwarves on a 3x3 embark two caverns open and stay at 80 fps)  now i am only getting 70 fps with 30 dwarves no caverns open on 3x2 embarks)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 08:39:52 pm »

Part of the problem is that now, the world is being simulated during dwarf mode as well. As a result, ALL of the creatures in world gen now affect FPS.

Cerbsen

• Bay Watcher
  • c is for butcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2014, 11:23:12 pm »

So i wanted to ask if this FPS drop is normal or if somethings is wrong with my DF or my PC? I'm using Starter Pack 40.10.

Nothing wrong with your pc... He plays DF 0.34.11 with dfhack in his new series, if you watch the older LP (DF2014) he also has ~60 fps.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 11:53:41 am »

I THINK toady has only done some slight optimization for .40.

Pretty sure there is a good amount of that left on the table before it gets back to .34 levels (where i could have a fort of 150 dwarves on a 3x3 embark two caverns open and stay at 80 fps)  now i am only getting 70 fps with 30 dwarves no caverns open on 3x2 embarks)

There was a significant change in .40.08, in comparison to older .40.xs (for better, I got an increase from stable 7 fps to stable 13 fps), but apart from that the game can slow down pretty quickly, when you compare to 0.34.xs.

Prudent Viper

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Unprofessional
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2014, 12:08:14 pm »

If you haven't touched the init settings yet, you can probably knock it back up 20 frames or so by fiddling with them. However, I would recommend sticking with 80 dwarves. Those little bearded bastards are the single biggest drain on fps. If you allow your fortress to get to default pop cap (220 I think?), then it will become unplayable. You can do everything in the game with 80 dwarves, there's really no need for anymore. So set your population cap now, before it gets out of control.
*Tryrar fires Prudent Viper. Out of a cannon. Into the sun*

malvado

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 07:43:30 pm »

I'm starting to notice how the game does slow down pretty soon.
This time I embarked on 6x4 and just a few months inn and 22 migrants the fps is down to 48 / 50 ish.
Hopefully Toady can put a lot of the background world calculations into perhaps another cpu core , It's definitely starting to look like the game will need to use better multiple cores in order to improve performance.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2014, 08:34:06 pm »

Or you just embark on a 3x3 map. The games warning about a large embark area that harms FPS hasnt been added for nothing. ;)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2014, 10:43:16 pm »

Similar issue, sort of - new laptop, good specs.

40.10 started off well at ~100 FPS, which is normal for my games, which usually hit ~40 with 100+ dwarves.

However, I breached a volcano at the same time the first merchants arrived, and it plummeted to 4 FPS and stayed there till I quit. Any ideas? Is liquid flow much more detailed here, or does the caravan stuff things up?

Any ideas welcomed. Mainly as I'm on Windows 8.1, and any program taking up too many resources seems to make the entire system rather unstable....

Because DF players are heavily into pain.