Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: The baby steps of fortress Chickenfeatures led by Cowardly McScardypants  (Read 3856 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The baby steps of fortress Chickenfeatures led by Cowardly McScardypants
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 09:13:18 am »

SPRING (Season 13)

Trap attempt.

1. Intrepid dwarf deconstructs one of the walls at the top.
2. Intrepid dwarf gets attacked (possibly).
3. Dwarf runs back towards stairs (maybe put him in a squad and assign him that location).
4. Monster follows (possibly)
5. Various levers are pulled, stuff happens.

Just after step one, of course, the dwarf decides to stop for a drink.

Then, while I'm distracted, everybody else runs past to pick up lost equipment down there. "Oh hey, a forgotten beasty!"

Rather too late (approx one dwarf too late and counting) I forbid everything except the levers and stuff.... two dwarves too late.

Net result: Only 6 adult dwarves left, one child, lots of tantrums ... D:

Three migrants arrive! Wow, they have no idea what awaits them.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:43:33 am by ptb_ptb »
()==[:::::::::::::>

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 10:07:23 am »

SUMMER (Season 14)

Technically the fortress hasn't crumbled yet. :P

More migrants!

Nearly all of the first wave have died now, leaving the new migrants surprisingly happy.

AUTUMN (Season 15)

Things are starting to look stable again. If you don't look at the pile of corpses near the stairwell.

I put them there to build up discipline. :P

Today the first tree grew inside my fortress!

Imma chop it down.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 11:28:52 am by ptb_ptb »

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 11:30:30 am »

Making your dwarves piss themselves using corpse stockpiles is its own reward

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 11:45:47 am »

WINTER (Season 16)

This one dwarf is running around half naked.  I made clothes, but she isn't interested. I guess she's just an exhibitionist.  Now I just wait for her to go insane and berserk all over the place.

Mid-winter. She finally got some clothes on. In fact I have everybody well equipped. :)

The dwarven liaison somehow managed to find me. I've been walled off for a while, so he had a lot to catch me up on.

:D

I just got the first two trees from my underground fungi-wood farm.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 12:30:29 pm by ptb_ptb »

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2014, 12:18:10 pm »

You've mentioned a few times that you have trouble getting your dwarves to come inside if you let them out. Have you got a civilian burrow set up? They make it pretty easy to get your dwarves back inside. See http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Khearn/CivilianAlertBurrow for instructions on how to set one up. That was written a while back, in the .34.XX days, but I just looked it over and it's still applicable.

I usually set up my "inside" burrow when I get the first notification of an ambush/siege/titan/werelemming/dragon/minotaur/attacker-du-jour.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 12:32:26 pm »

You've mentioned a few times that you have trouble getting your dwarves to come inside if you let them out. Have you got a civilian burrow set up? They make it pretty easy to get your dwarves back inside. See http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Khearn/CivilianAlertBurrow for instructions on how to set one up. That was written a while back, in the .34.XX days, but I just looked it over and it's still applicable.

I usually set up my "inside" burrow when I get the first notification of an ambush/siege/titan/werelemming/dragon/minotaur/attacker-du-jour.

Sounds like exactly the sort of thing I should be doing right now. ;)

I've heard of burrows, but it was always one of those "Eh, I'll look at it later" things.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2014, 01:22:40 pm »

I realize that my pair of horses has had only one foal in 8 seasons. Seems a little low to me, and I could do with some leather...
On investigation it seems that bug 7651 may be related. My stallion is a 'stallion's stallion' or my mare is looking elsewhere.

In the battle of everybody vs one kea the dwarves won!

If the mare has had a foal (which you say she has) then it's the stallion.  Likely the first foal was fathered by a caravan horse.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2014, 06:38:13 pm »

Sounds like exactly the sort of thing I should be doing right now. ;)

I've heard of burrows, but it was always one of those "Eh, I'll look at it later" things.

It's not difficult at all, once you know how (or have instructions). The most difficult part is defining the burrow area for the first few levels near the surface is your embark area has an uneven surface (actually, it's more tedious than difficult). Once you get down to a level where the entire map is underground, you can just hit enter at  the NW corner of that level, scroll down to the lowest level of the map and go to the SE corner and hit enter again and everything in between is in your burrow. Of course, that includes the caverns, so you may want to go back and remove them as well. I usually completely wall off the caverns once my fort has been inoculated by the cavern spores, so it's not a problem. But if you send people into the cavern sometimes and want to be able to pull them back out on command, you'll have to deal with that.

But being able to say "Ok, everyone inside!" and have them respond is very nice. Although I've had issues where a dwarf was carrying a heavy weapon bin to pick up bolts outside (or a fish barrel, or pick your heavy load), and he keeps carrying it while slowly making his way back to the fort. Meanwhile, a dozen trolls are charging full speed towards the open gate...

At times like that I've been known to check the dwarf in question's relationship screen to see how many friends/family members are going to be upset if I lock the idiot outside.

"Run, Urist! Run!"

Keith
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2014, 03:40:41 am »

SPRING (Season 17)

I have my burrow / alert set up.

I also have farms that work again ... sort of.

I may have mentioned this bug before. Maybe not. Short version:
If your farms aren't getting planted, turn off hauling jobs until they are finished being planted!.

SUMMER (Season 18)

Left the game on autopilot for too long, came back and most of the blackberry crop was ruined. :(

AUTUMN (Season 19)

The pig tail farming is doing the job. I've built up a fair stock of thread and clothing.

I think I can survive without cave spider thread now, so I block off the caverns again.

WINTER (Season 20)

Everybody has a dinning room as well as a bedroom now. Decoration leaves a little to be desired.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 05:39:23 am by ptb_ptb »

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2014, 07:42:11 am »

Wow, those dwarves are getting spoiled with dining rooms that big, unless you plan to pile skeletons into the empty space they may get to legendary status by the time you finish smoothing them, even before adding furniture... You are quite the generous overlord

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2014, 10:49:22 am »

Wow, those dwarves are getting spoiled with dining rooms that big, unless you plan to pile skeletons into the empty space they may get to legendary status by the time you finish smoothing them, even before adding furniture... You are quite the generous overlord

Heh, I can only get away with stuff like that because I've limited the population to 14. I only plan on smoothing the outer walls, though.

Meanwhile ...

SPRING Season (21)

Timeskip? :P  I wasted a whole lot of time walling off a 3 z-level high area of cavern. It spawns cave spiders (it seems) so I'm hoping to get lots of silk from there. I find seed management and farming a real pain.

LMeire

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Troglodytes for their horradorability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2014, 12:50:30 pm »

If you haven't already, you might want to include a tightly closing door to your spider farm to keep any cats from wandering in and killing your spiders in adorably psychopathic ways.
"☼Perfection☼ in the job puts pleasure in the work." - Uristotle

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2014, 04:08:37 pm »

SUMMER Season (I don't even know anymore)

One of my dwarves maliciously ran right into the giant olm I mentioned earlier. In a fit of frustration I threw every dwarf to hand at it...

it heals faster than it gets damaged. All the wounds my dwarves made are now 'old scars'. My dwarves are sort of trapped, and are determined to viciously beat its fangs to death with their throats. It became a long drawn out stalemate ... which my dwarves are losing through starvation.

It's just possible I'm overtired and shouldn't be playing.
Pages: 1 [2]