Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: GCS not shooting webs?  (Read 1274 times)

TacoSundae84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
GCS not shooting webs?
« on: August 23, 2014, 03:52:17 pm »

I finally caught my first GCS, tamed it, and immediately set out to make a silk farm. My problem is that I can't get it to shoot out any webs. I've tried chaining goblins and troglodytes on the other side of fortifications, tried it with walling in the goblins and troglodytes with fortifications in case it was the chains, and I eventually gave up and just let the gcs loose on them. The first two ways, the gcs just sits there staring at them without doing anything. The third way, the gcs eagerly rushes out and kills them, but never once shoots a web. I tried searching for this problem, but I couldn't find anyone saying they had a similar problem. My first thought is that I'm doing something wrong, but at the very least, letting it loose to freely kill stuff should get it to shoot webs, right?

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
Re: GCS not shooting webs?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 04:07:51 pm »

letting it loose to kill things is a great way to get it killed, but I think if you trap it within fortifications and let the goblins loose on the other side, it will fire at them (webs aren't lethal though, you may want to have a method to recapture them)

TacoSundae84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:15:17 pm »

I tried that before letting the gcs loose. He still just sat there watching them run around the room.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 04:43:25 pm »

letting it loose to kill things is a great way to get it killed, but I think if you trap it within fortifications and let the goblins loose on the other side, it will fire at them (webs aren't lethal though, you may want to have a method to recapture them)

No; GCS are much more discerning about what they web in v0.40.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141214.0

My recommendation is to let your spider revert to Wild, then use a patrolling military dwarf as bait.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Silk_farming#High-volume_silk_farm

Note that, as a previously trained animal, your spider will probably retain its trap immunity (so you need to get the setup right the first time).

TacoSundae84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 04:53:39 pm »

This does seem to be the case. It won't bother shooting goblins or troglodytes in any situation I can think of. I finally got it to shoot webs at a minotaur I forgot I had caged, but it wouldn't do it through fortifications. Once I opened a path, it ran towards it while shooting webs though. I'd rather keep her tamed, so I'll just do some save scum testing to find a way to get the silk farm running without killing the bait, as minotaurs seem a little difficult to come by.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2014, 05:18:33 pm »

This sounds more like a bug than a feature but I could be wrong.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 04:23:09 am »

My recommendation is to let your spider revert to Wild, then use a patrolling military dwarf as bait.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Silk_farming#High-volume_silk_farm

Seems to be a role ideally suited for the champion.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 12:16:00 pm »

Seems to be a role ideally suited for the champion.
My champion agreed.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479